1987 Marlboro Claud Butler Majestic 2 tandem FINISHED pg13

Yeah. The speed of a tandem can be something else; ages ago we did a tour of Gotland on a rented ancient iron gate - Husqvana
hub brakes, 3 wide ratio gears, etc. Blimey, the descents on gravel roads would drain all upper body strength to keep the wanted
line - steering a blind drunk pig with a bent stick best describes it.

Was lucky as a kid to watch this epic live; unforgettable supreme tandem bike handling:

Also had a muck about with adding a rear disc as an emergency “drag brake”, thought I’d try before I buy and used a front from another bike. I agree it’s not the best solution but it is a working one and only as an assist to the canti brakes.

I’m curious (as I’m not familiar with tandems, other than the few times I’ve ridden one it was buckets of fun), is this because the frame/disc adapter isn’t strong enough on its own to take the stress of a disc brake?

Intrigued about the three chains.

Pair and a spare?
No, this is a touring long wheelbase tandem, so needs more than 116 links for the front/rear nearside link chain (I think it was around 130)

Yeah. The speed of a tandem can be something else; ages ago we did a tour of Gotland on a rented ancient iron gate - Husqvana
hub brakes, 3 wide ratio gears, etc. Blimey, the descents on gravel roads would drain all upper body strength to keep the wanted
line - steering a blind drunk pig with a bent stick best describes it.

Was lucky as a kid to watch this epic live; unforgettable supreme tandem bike handling:

It's all looking good too Peachy! I'm well impressed with the hard work.
Blimey that wheel strike was quite something!

And cheers, almost on the home stretch, I've left my buffing machine at work so can't finish detailing the pedals till tomorrow.
I’m curious (as I’m not familiar with tandems, other than the few times I’ve ridden one it was buckets of fun), is this because the frame/disc adapter isn’t strong enough on its own to take the stress of a disc brake?
It's more that I don't know how it will perform, I'm guessing it's unlikely to be as strong as a frame brazed mount.
But I'm not concerned too much as I'm confident in my ability to set up the DX Canti's properly & added to that some longer more modern brake pads and a defensive/careful approach to descents should see us ok.

Pedals done... little resto thread here;

464B1E43-A60F-461E-A4B4-3EA635AE50D7.jpeg

They turned out nice! why has one of them got a different spindle to the other 3? or at least different spacers or something?

They turned out nice! why has one of them got a different spindle to the other 3? or at least different spacers or something?
Ah... no, that would be me forgetting to put the rubber dust seal back on!🤦‍♂️ Sorted now.

So where are we now?
No further on really, fitted the front canti’s but that hanger doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Spent a few hours digging through spares boxes for appropriate V-brakes & levers... 1DBCDB4C-4E58-4618-A55B-DED8BA2FAD1C.jpeg

Back