1986 (?) Muddy Fox Courier - commuter/work bike project

jacobTFH

Retro Newbie
Hi all, newbie here. Found this forum after researching my latest purchase:

Here's my Muddy Fox Courier which I picked up a month ago. It's my only bike (tiny london flat doesn't permit building up a collection) so I'm using it for my towpath commute as well as longer rides round Epping Forest and eventually some camping trips once the weather gets better!

I bought it to replace my (very sensible, very frumpy, very un-retro) specialized sirrus which got nicked, decided to get a less 'nickable' bike and also learn how to fix up bikes in the process. I've been slowly fixing it up with the help of the lovely people at London Bike Kitchen. All cables replaced, hubs and BB serviced, new chain and cassette, panaracer pasela tyres, and a wald 139 (I think) basket and matching Restrap bag :cool: oh and a charity shop saddlebag

I think it's a 1986 based on other courier threads on this forum. It doesn't have the paw print by the seatpost clamp which is the only way I've been able to tell it apart from the 1987 model.

I'm really pleased with this bike, it's been so satisfying learning how to replace parts and service my own bike, and it rides beautifully now - really fun on the more gravelly sections of towpath! I don't think I'll do much more to it beyond general maintenance but I'd be interested to hear thoughts on any recommended upgrades? A few things things I'm considering are replacing the brakes with something easier to set up and adjust - I think I read on here that Dia Compe 986/987s might be good for that? Also I'm keeping an eye out for some mid-rise BMX bars or something along those Klunker-y lines, I like the look of the Nitto bullmoose bars as well.

I'm also thinking of replacing the wheels and taking the opportunity to fit a dynamo system, any recommendations welcome. Not sure if I'm confident enough in my bike mechanic abilities to build up my own wheels yet but it does sound fun. I saw Decathlon do a dynamo front wheel for £30 - too good to be true? seems way too cheap to me but I know they sometimes do some very decent bargains.

Here's what she looked like when I picked her up in the middle of storm Ciara last month (I miss those tractor tyres but they were completely f*cked!):

Attachments

• IMG_20200306_171948383.jpg
    IMG_20200306_171948383.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_20200210_194207998.jpg
    IMG_20200210_194207998.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 779
Re:

Welcome to the forum. Lovely bike and much much classier than a sirrus.

It's always satisfying learning how to maintain your own bike, will help build confidence in what you are riding and bond with it.

As far as upgrades, I really wouldn't do much, these are very robust bikes so can be left alone if you wish.

I would persevere with the brakes, there is nothing wrong with canti's as long as they are set up properly and once you have your head around mechanical advantage it's pretty simple to keep on top of them. If you want more power then invest in some koolstop salmon pads; wide angle cantis like yours with salmon pads will be more powerful than most v brake setups and certainly more so than narrow angle cantis.

Also, drive side pictures are where it's at ;)

Welcome along - that's a really nice courier and the frame and decals look in great nick

I'd 2nd the comment above with the brakes, carefully set up they will work really well - but if poorly adjusted they can also be squeally, juddery and sometimes ineffective. sheldon brown's website has a really useful info on adjusting traditional cantilevers.

I'd consider changing just the brake blocks as the compound may have hardened up over time

Don't know much about dynamos, If your wheels are original probably best you hang on to them... original wheels will most likely have the word ARAYA stamped into the rim somewhere and possibly "SUZUE" stamped into the hubs

Re:

Ditto the comments above , its fine just as it is

There are plenty of efficient battery powered lights out there for your camping trips

A little money spent on rechargeable batteries will work out a lot cheaper than the dynamo option
plus you will have a torch for use at home/around the camp site etc

Cheers for the tips - reckon I will leave it alone for now in that case. I think I was partly getting a bit carried away as I've been really enjoying the process of taking it apart and replacing the bits that needed replacing - looking for more things to do but I will have to sit on my hands for now ha! I'll persevere with the cantis and try and learn to love them

Re wheels: I don't think they're original as I can't find any araya stamps or anything on the hubs. The main reason I was thinking of replacing them is that the guys at london bike kitchen said the spokes have aged pretty badly and I might want to replace them sooner rather than later to avoid a major mishap mid-ride. But they also said they should be fine for the foreseeable so I might put that on the backburner for now.

One pretty annoying issue I've had is that the rear derailleur is behaving pretty badly. The chain regularly comes off the upper jockey wheel , and also slips off the cassette for no apparent reason. The jockey wheels aren't worn, and I think I've got the limit screws adjusted correctly, so maybe the hanger is bent. Any advice on this/anything I'm probably missing? It's a suntour XC sport if that's of any use.

Oh and I'll post some drive side pictures when I next get the chance ;)

Re:

If your spokes are worn then you could just get the spokes replaced and use the original rims and hubs if they aren't worn.

You could choose to pop a dyno hub in at that point, it's your bike, do what you want with it at the end of the day and it's not a super rare model that must be preserved at all costs so, if adding a dyno hub means you'd use it more, then pop one in.

As far as the slipping is concerned I'd be checking the chain for wear if you haven't already, a worn chain will cause all sorts of running issues and often gets neglected.

I bought a Decathlon super cheap dynamo wheel. It arrived, I opened the box and gave it a look over, I then put it back in the box and requested a return online. It was dreadful. Anyway, nice set up, I have that same basket and bag on my commuter and have found it to be super practical.

Re: Re:

nstarmore":u2u3zcji said:
As far as the slipping is concerned I'd be checking the chain for wear if you haven't already, a worn chain will cause all sorts of running issues and often gets neglected.

Cheers, yeah it's a new chain and cassette, and the jockey wheel slipping was happening before I swapped them. Was hoping replacing the chain and cassette would sort it!

Re: Re:

jacobTFH":gvghmgl3 said:
nstarmore":gvghmgl3 said:

Cheers, yeah it's a new chain and cassette, and the jockey wheel slipping was happening before I swapped them. Was hoping replacing the chain and cassette would sort it!

Ahh not simple fix then, that's a bummer. I'd check that the floating jockey wheel is still actually floating then and if that's ok start looking at bent stuff, derailleur cage or hanger.

Back