1987/8/9? Mountain Klein build thread

Yeah it´s currenty my go to bike. Bullmoose and a relatively short TT really makes it a quite comfy rider. I don´t know how wide yours are, but uncut they are wide for a vintage cockpit and give plenty of control.

I would guess a BMX size steerer goes with a BMX headset. No idea what is available though .(

Mine are 53cm, I've ordered some mid 80's dia compe levers, I have suntour power shifters and Grab on grips so I think that's the cockpit sorted.
I'll use the WTB's on another frame that's waiting in the wings, this build has got my full attention at the minute though.

levers.jpg

I've always liked the Cinelli Volare SLX from the same period, a mate had one on his road bike and it just struck a chord with me so I've nabbed one of them too.
Slowly it's beginning to take shape, a few other bits earmarked for this bike include a pair of suitably oversized aluminium bottle cages and of course the roller cam brakes.

P7020169.jpg

The big challenges remain the BB, the headset and what to do about wheels🤔

Mine are 53cm, I've ordered some mid 80's dia compe levers, I have suntour power shifters and Grab on grips so I think that's the cockpit sorted.
I'll use the WTB's on another frame that's waiting in the wings, this build has got my full attention at the minute though.

View attachment 640732

I've always liked the Cinelli Volare SLX from the same period, a mate had one on his road bike and it just struck a chord with me so I've nabbed one of them too.
Slowly it's beginning to take shape, a few other bits earmarked for this bike include a pair of suitably oversized aluminium bottle cages and of course the roller cam brakes.

View attachment 640733

The big challenges remain the BB, the headset and what to do about wheels🤔
Nice choice of saddle and great selection of bits!

Last edited:
Nice one! Sorry @Tsundere for the OT, but where was the race? 57k seem managable if there was not too much altitude to cover.

Also: The Innova tires don´t look too out of place.

Thanks

wahoo.JPG

Rhens, near Koblenz, Rhine Valley Germany. Strava/Wahoo said 56,5km and 1512m of climbing
After around 45km I was hurting so much :) The final downhills were kinda rough and were no fun at all. After the race I was like "never again", that changed 2 days later. Got some nice comments for the bike during the race. Thats enough motivation to do it again next year. Two buddies of mine did the 81k distance (2000m climbing) on a 1991 Alpinestars CroMega and a 1993 Stumpy, they were the same way :)

Fun fact: I work for Fox Factory as a Product Manager :D. I told my colleagues that you can only really appreciate proper modern suspension when you did a marathon race on a unsuspended vintage mountainbike. Not sure if they agreed or just believe that I`m nuts...

The Innova tires worked pretty well I have to say. Did not wanted to ride on dried out vintage tires and TerraOnes do not fit the frame. The Innova look almost period correct and worked well (with period correct 3 bars to prevent pinch flats). Delivery from China through AliBaba took about 6 weeks

Bike looks so nice, what year is it? And I wonder if yours has a 21.1 steerer too?

Thx. Its a 1987 but I changed the parts to 1986 Deer Head XT mostly. Wanted to have a pre-index shifting bike in my stash and I really like the contrast of the almost modern aluminium alloy frame with sloping top tube and the ancient spinner fork, bullmoose and Deer Head XT. Steerer is a 22.2

Thx. Its a 1987 but I changed the parts to 1986 Deer Head XT mostly. Wanted to have a pre-index shifting bike in my stash and I really like the contrast of the almost modern aluminium alloy frame with sloping top tube and the ancient spinner fork, bullmoose and Deer Head XT. Steerer is a 22.2
I love the old ratchet shifters too, just bought some deer heads, but will probably stick with the suntours for this build.

Back