1987/8/9? Mountain Klein build thread

Urgh, I remember the days USPS did still send via slow boat. Apparently not worth it anymore or victim to the ongoing dismantling of the agency/company.

You could check with jonrock or Danson on here, maybe they still have some supplies.
Cheers, sent PMs : )

If you need some from over here I’m happy to receive on your behalf and pop to the post office with a very tiny envelope mate!

Can’t imagine they’re really going to charge me $35 to send you a slightly swollen “birthday card”!

If you need some from over here I’m happy to receive on your behalf and pop to the post office with a very tiny envelope mate!

Can’t imagine they’re really going to charge me $35 to send you a slightly swollen “birthday card”!
That's very good of you, I'm hoping that I can source some on this side of the pond, but failing that I'll give you a shout. I've had stuff sent from the US for far less, larger heavier items too.

While I wait for the brake studs and spindle I've turned my attention to wheels, it looks like period correct is well and truly back on the menu so I rummaged through my shed and came up with these...
P8050133.JPG
A pair of mid to late 80's Sachs Maillard Diabolo hubs, and they fit. I bought these a couple of years ago, they spin buttery smooth as the seller had fully serviced them, they aren't boutique but they are great utilitarian hubs from the right period and I really like them. I also found a nice cheap pair of Weinmann concave rims to go with them, again classics from the late 80's that were often paired with Sachs Maillard hubs.

I'd really like to build them myself but I have zero experience with wheel building and my only attempt at fixing a mild buckle ended with a worse buckle, so I'll get them assembled professionally by a local wheelsmith.

Now it's just the drive train that'll need sorting.

Those are nice hubs, they also were OEM on late 80ies Peugeots. Just make sure the bearings are really packed with grease as the seals on them are only marginal.

Some more pieces of the puzzle arrived today. The two sets of brake blocks don't match but considering how hard they were to find I'm just pleased to have nice shiny shoes containing usable rubber. Studs courtesy of Danson and Ti spindle came from Star12.

P8090137.JPG
In case anyone from the future finds this thread in their search for early Klein compatible U brake studs Danson has a small mountain of them 👍

In case anyone from the future finds this thread in their search for early Klein compatible U brake studs Danson has a small mountain of them 👍
Hopefully they do fit! Also: good score on the Ti spindle. Weird how steel versions are harder to come by ...

Something came along in the way of period correct drivetrain and wheelset, so the Diabolo hubs and Suntour shifters are going back to the spares bin.
Tomorrow the BB will be fitted by a local bike shop, once that is done the build process can begin in earnest.

🥖 🐫

Back