1984 Ross Mt Hood Resto-Mod 1x10

cinemafia

Retro Newbie
I've been a lurker here for a while, but this is my first post- I found this old '84 Ross Mt. Hood on Craigslist and built it up for a friend of mine who hasn't really ridden a bike since he was a teenager. I stripped it down and cleaned and polished all the chrome, plus re-packed the headset. Then I re-assembled it, keeping the old bullmoose bars, the original Dia Compe brakes and moto levers and the rear shifter.

Everything else got ditched and/or replaced with stuff I had in the parts bin or bought new, and I added some custom little touches. For instance, to replace the long-gone portage strap that would have originally come with the bike, I used a black leather bookmark from Golden Saddle Cyclery here in L.A. So far he loves the rig, the low gearing lets him climb pretty much anything and it can handle hard-pack like nobody's business. As he gets more in shape, I'll probably swap out the front ring with something like a 39t or 42t to give him a little more top end, though.

1984-ross-mt-hood-hi-tech-1x10-30042_4.jpg

1984-ross-mt-hood-hi-tech-1x10-30042_2.jpg

1984-ross-mt-hood-hi-tech-1x10-30042_3.jpg

1984-ross-mt-hood-hi-tech-1x10-30042_5.jpg

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":1n1vi5fh said:
Looks sweet. Did you have to spread the back end to get the rear wheel in?

Yes, though Iit's only spreading 2.5mm on each side so it works out fine. You just have to apply some pressure when getting it in and out of the triangle. I suppose I could have also gone the route of getting a 10-speed freewheel, but I've heard those things aren't exactly stellar performers. Plus, the original steel wheels were super heavy and for whatever reason were in much worse shape than the frame- totally covered in rust!

Back