Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
A few years ago I noticed this sorry looking bike on eBay, low start and no one seemed to be paying it any attention, maybe because it was painted up like a mid 80's Claud and was obviously in some distress... but something about it piqued my interest.... ;)

After getting it home I realised my gut instinct was spot on, a 1962 range topping Cordon Bleu, 531 fully butted throughout! :cool:
Anatomic saddle went straight into a box I’ve put aside of catalogue correct kit for my daughters Majestique, and the arabesque levers and front mech have me thinking about the group.

She survived the great Peachy cull of 2020, and I'm now thinking she might just shine with some Shimano 600/Arabesque early doors indexed....(I blame Legrandfromage) '62 Cordon Bleu (5).jpg '62 Cordon Bleu (2).jpg '62 Cordon Bleu (6).jpg '62 Cordon Bleu (4).jpg CordonBleu62.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re:

Captain Stupido":1agnivk7 said:

Cheers Cap’n, I think so.... :)

Now then, what am I going to use it for? Well it’s a replacement for my Majestic basically, so all weather winter ride, summer camping tourer and likely to be taken up the occasional gravel path..

So, kit;
Gears, I’m thinking 2x6 SIS (I don’t feel the need to push the rear spacing any further than that) probably something like 13-30t freewheel..
Wheels, 27” of course, I had earmarked a nice pair of period Fiamme’s, but I do have a more modern double walled set of Weinnann’s.. touring wise I think the Weinmann’s might be more suited to take a higher pressure and more weight. :|
Bars... flat bar gravel grinder? Not sure I’m ready for that yet. Although it’s got me thinking... when I was younger I had a neighbour who had a strange set up on his commuter bike, he had flipped his drop bars upside down, nothing new there you might think, but his weren’t cut short like the trendy kids (my Dad wouldn’t let me do it to mine) but more cut “medium” so there was enough straight tube at the ends to fit bar end shifters! He said his normal riding position was on the flat bar & didn’t want to lower his hands to reach either the brake levers or the gear shifters.
He reckoned this was the best solution, anyone else seen this before?

I had a rummage about and have cobbled together a sort of group, predominantly 600 from across the ages, I think I'd like to use it's original Arabesque front mech.
8 speed Dura Ace bar end shifters, I know they work with the 600EX SIS rear mech, but will the indexing be ok with me restricting the stops for a 6 speed freewheel? It is a 600EX indexed freewheel, just not sure if the jump up to 8 speed made any slight changes? :? IMG_0067.jpg IMG_0065.jpg IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0062.jpg IMG_0061.jpg IMG_0060.jpg

Last edited:
Very shiny kit but maybe check the forks first if you already havent done so?

(8spd shifters may work pretty well, I'm sure I ran 8 with a 6spd freewheel, but dont forget down tube shifters work just as well on the bar-end mounts!)

file.php

legrandefromage":17a7v1z7 said:
Very shiny kit but maybe check the forks first if you already havent done so?

(8spd shifters may work pretty well, I'm sure I ran 8 with a 6spd freewheel, but dont forget down tube shifters work just as well on the bar-end mounts!)

Ah! I was hoping you’d turn up. :D Thought you might be attracted to your old saddle...

Yes forks are fine, think that photo looks bad because the headset was lose with no balls in the races!

As for the shifters, I guess I’ll find out when I fit them. ;)

legrandefromage":17a7v1z7 said:
Shinier than yours

Hold on, I’ve not started polishing yet!

But yes, very pretty. What they going on?

Thinking about frame finishes. Decals already ordered from H Lloyd, all period & frame correct of course. But which way to go with paint?
Something in my loins is aching for black with a gold head tube and gold lug lining. :cool:

Re: Re:

oaklec":2g88jww3 said:
flam ruby red, gold lug lining

If Bob Jackson’s was still open it would already be getting done, but Argos’s prices are way to high so this might have to be a more simple job.
Also as I want this to ride on road and gravel paths in all weathers I’m even contemplating powder coating for toughness!

Latest posts

Back