‘Stumpy’ options and suggestions please …..

abr303

Retro Guru
Well it took a while but all the searching paid off in the end….. Here’s my newly acquired very original 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper…. It’s in fantastic condition, paint & decals have no dings or damage and are in a lovely condition still nice and shiny with no paint fade. A very original bike and the DX components are all mint. Just purchased from the original owner who bought it brand new back in the early 90’s making me the 2nd owner👍 I’ve big plans for it but really undecided which way to go with it to be honest as I’ve a near complete mint period correct Deore XT groupset that would go on a real treat…..😍 choices, choices, ….?? 🤔🤔🤔 .Should I fit the XT parts or leave it as Specialized intended ?? 🤔🤔🤔 08E55FA1-909B-4EE0-B76A-D962489D9BD2.jpeg A0D7FD9D-7365-4C22-930A-D770ACFBE718.jpeg BA943E6A-BDE3-420A-B356-55540775C29A.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a great score, especially as it still has the Ground Control's. I'd keep it as it is, DX is virtually as good as XT, it has the desirable black rings + canti's and it is only ever original once. Find another frame for the XT, it would be wasted here as there's no need imo.:cool:

Nothing wrong with the DX, one of the best groupsets they made.

I agree…. Looks great as it is…

I’d keep it DX…

Maybe only thing I’d do was to try and get a black shimano seatpost (DX or XT) and maybe some solid coloured grips to match the colour of the decals but that’s just personal touches.

Great find 👍

I agree…. Looks great as it is…

I’d keep it DX…

Maybe only thing I’d do was to try and get a black shimano seatpost (DX or XT) and maybe some solid coloured grips to match the colour of the decals but that’s just personal touches.

Great find 👍
Cheers👍
Yes after some serious thought and given the opinions of others it’s staying DX 👍 I’ve stripped the bike down to overhaul everything and to be fair, everything is pretty good bar headset as the cups and races are a bit pitted so I’ve sourced a nos DX headset to go on 😊
The grips currently on are Specialized ones which are black and red but obviously not original. I’ve thought about a seat post, a DX one would be nice but I think it was only ever silver as an option with the XT being black. An XT post would be nice but are like hens teeth these days for a tidy one and in 26.8mm.
I’ll be doing a build/overhaul thread soon and we’ll see how things work out 👍

I quite like the seatpost already fitted, matches with the black stem & cockpit up front.
DX is a nice group set, personally I prefer it over XT of that era.

Nothing wrong with the DX, one of the best groupsets they made.
hiya, newbie here trying to find some info.... im trying to find a thread regarding groups from the early 90s. what is best what to avoid.

thanks in advance.

hiya, newbie here trying to find some info.... im trying to find a thread regarding groups from the early 90s. what is best what to avoid.

thanks in advance.
Depends what it's going on really mate. Early 90's wise Shimano LX, DX, XT or XTR are decent. STX came later but is also acceptable quality.

Back