1995 Barracuda A2M

addicted

Retro Guru
One I have kept since purchased new in 1995 in Flagstaff Arizona. Holy cr*p I just realized that was 20 years ago :shock: . I am feeling old all of the sudden.
This Barracuda was made when the company was based out of Durango Colorado the early frames made by Yeti. I think the Original bikes are way under valued because of the fact that the company was bought out by Ross in 1996 and the current company making bikes under the Barracuda name are low end. If you can find one between 1993 and 1996 BUY IT. These are great bikes and a great bargain.

Model A2M
Weight (lbs) 25.5
Size 18
Frame Material Welded 7005 aluminum, double-butted
Fork Rockshox Judy FSX
Brakes Dia-Compe PC-7 levers
Shifters Grip Shift SRT-600
Front Derailleur Shimano LX Compact Drive, top-pull/clamp-on 31.8mm
Rear Derailleur Shimano LX
Crank Sugino Impel 350, 22/32/42
Pedals Welgo
Bottom Bracket
Cogset 8-Speed, 11-28
Chain KMC SS-90, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost Fast Feather alloy, 26.8mm
Saddle Bontrager
Handlebar Cuda aluminum
Bar ends Onza
Stem Cuda alloy
Headset 1 1/8" Dia-Compe Kontak Aheadset ST 2
Hubs Sachs Quarz
Rims Mavic
Tires WTB Baracuda 015.JPG Baracuda 009.JPG Baracuda 2 001.JPG Baracuda 007.JPG Baracuda 006.JPG Baracuda 005.JPG Baracuda 012.JPG Baracuda 014.JPG

Last edited:
Re:

that is really nice, and kept in such tidy condition! :cool:

one thing confuses about this brand though. when i hear barracuda i think of those cheap two tonne bikes i remember seeing in the littlewoods catalogue over here in the UK... are they the same company or just using the same name?

sean

Barracuda suffered the same fate as GT, Mongoose and Ironhorse in that they went bankrupt and the brand was bought up by one of those department store mass marketers that sell BSO's to the masses. So there are good Barracudas from the late 80's / early 90's and BSO's from the modern era. I'm no expert, but I suspect the example shown is one from one of the later years of the "good" Barracudas.

Re:

Barracuda was started in Durango in 1992. Some of the first bikes were made by Yeti including the race teams bikes. The company was showing signs of money issues and was sold to Ross in 1996. Once Ross bought the company they changed the designs and the bikes had no resemblance to the original. They went belly up at the end of the 90's. There is curently a company in Europe using the name Barracuda that are low end bikes.

Thanks for the complement on the condition. It's a rare bike so I try to take care of her.

Here is an example of Barracuda's top end bike that sold for over $4000.00 in 1995. along with Specs.

Unlimited
MSRP $4,000.00 +
Weight (lbs) ??
Sizes Custom
Frame Material Welded Aluminum, butted
Fork Judy XC / Manitou 4 / Marzocchi XC-600
Rear Shock N/A
Brakes Dia-Compe 987 brakes, Dia-Compe PC-11 levers
Shifters Grip Shift SRT-800 X-Ray
Front Derailleur Shimano XTR
Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR
Crank Topline red arms, blue spider, Sugino chain rings
Pedals Ritchey clipless
Bottom Bracket Ultimate titanium
Cogset Shimano XTR 8-Speed
Chain Shimano Dura-Ace
Seatpost Ringle Moby, 28.6mm
Saddle Cuda branded Flight style titanium / kevlar
Handlebar Cuda branded 6061 butted, CNC machined, silver
Bar ends Onza
Stem Ringle Zooka
Headset 1 1/8" Dia-Compe Aheadset
Hubs Ringle Super Bubba / Ringle Super 8
Rims Sun CR-17A, 32-hole
Tires Front: 26 x 2.10" Onza Aggro, Rear: 26 x 2.10" Onza Honch

Attachments

• 1995-UNLTD.jpg
    1995-UNLTD.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,272
I had the very same A2M from new BITD. I didn't get on with it as I wasn't a real fan of aluminium at the time but I'd love to have one now :)

Re: Barracuda A2m Help

Need some Help. By any chance do you know what Bottom bracket you have in your A2m I'm Rebuilding a poorly treated 1995 A2m and Cannot find any mention on what correct bottom bracket fits this bike the one taken out clearly isn't correct it has some sloppy spacers etc. And just doesn't seem to fit correctly. Any help you can give would be great!

Re: Barracuda A2m Help

NDferro":gar56q99 said:
Need some Help. By any chance do you know what Bottom bracket you have in your A2m I'm Rebuilding a poorly treated 1995 A2m and Cannot find any mention on what correct bottom bracket fits this bike the one taken out clearly isn't correct it has some sloppy spacers etc. And just doesn't seem to fit correctly. Any help you can give would be great!
I think a Shimano UN55 Bottom Bracket will work for you 110mm. They are around $20.00 US.

Re:

Thanks, I ordered one and overnighted but they miss-shipped me a 73mm instead of 68 and won't take it back so I ordered again from another company...

Back