Independent Fabrication

From Retrobike Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Independent Fabrication (IF) is a bicycle company in Somerville, Massachusetts, USA. It is often mistakenly referred to as Independent Fabrications. It makes bicycle frames from steel, titanium and carbon fiber. It twice won the Bicycling Magazine "Dream Bike of the Year" with its carbon-tubed, titanium-lugged XS road frame.<ref>Road Bike Reviews: Editor's Choice 2006 -</ref> Independent Fabrication was founded by and is owned by its employees. In 2005, the company took part in a CNN television program called The TurnAround.<ref>CNN/Money: The Turnaround</ref> The show paired a growing business with a mentor from a more successful company. Independent Fabrication was paired with Jeff Swartz, chief executive of Timberland.<ref>Dirt Rag {Web Rag: News}</ref>

In 2011 the company announced its factory would move from Somerville to New Hampshire within the year. Only a handful of its employees are to make the move with the company. Several former employees are returning to the company.

History of Independent Fabrication

Independent Fabrication was formed by former employees of Fat City Cycles and later Merlin Metalworks. Giana Roberge won the 2004 world masters time-trial championship in Austria on an XS.

In 2007 Gary Smith bought 80% of the company, with the employees owning the remaining 20%.

Bicycle Frames

Independent Fabrication currently manufactures the following custom bicycle frame models:


Note SEC features carbon wishbone seat stays.


Off Road

  • Deluxe (Steel or Titanium)<ref>Steel Deluxe reviewed in bike group test. Singletrack Mountain Bike Magazine, Issue 9. Todmorden, UK.</ref><ref>Titanium Deluxe reviewed in bike group test. Singletrack Mountain Bike Magazine, Issue 29. Todmorden, UK.</ref>
  • Beatstick (Steel)


  • Independence (Steel or Titanium)


Independent Fabrication has also produced specials and one-off bikes. Some are show bikes, others have been built to the requirements of customers or other companies:

Owners' Club

An Independent Fabrication Owners' Club launched in 2004. It has a register of 1,000 IF bikes.

Grassroots Racing

Independent Fabrication has a small but successful grassroots racing program.

IF Racing

IF Racing was formed in February 2008 by team director Jonathan Bruno. The squad is a newly expanded U25 Development program for road racing and pro mountain bike racing. In addition to efforts to promote environmental sustainability and healthy choices, the team will participate in an after-school cycling program for Boston public schools.

Women's Team

The team, which started as Merlin/Smartfuel in 1997 and in 2000 picked up sponsorship from Independent Fabrication, is based in New England and rides regional and National Racing Calendar events.<ref>Independent Fabrication/Kempner Women's Cycling Team</ref><ref>Independent Fabrication/Kempner Elite Women's Road Racing Team</ref>

External links