Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 61%  61%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 92
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:01 pm 

Hi! I am Monique, 38 from the Netherlands. I found these forums through a search for the manufacture date of my old (but still lovely) Giant Peloton Super-Lite. Love the forum and especially all the wonderful pictures. Will add my own soon ;^)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:01 am 

Hello, my name is Peter, I live in Antwerp, Belgium and I own a 1993 Trek 1200 since it was new.
I'll post some pictures later.

Post subject: Hi, I'm The Don
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 am 

I've come into road biking after using a cheapie Marin hybrid bike as a occasional method of transport for a few years. I recently did a triathlon using it and found that a Hybrid bike, pannier racks and wide tyres do not a fast time make.

I bought a road bike yesterday off e-bay (I'll start a thread about it) and will be getting accustomed to it over the coming weeks and months. I've already learned that there's a knack to disengaging from clip in pedals (and it's painful when you don't get your feet out in time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 pm 

I thought that I would pop in and say hi! After a break of 15 odd years I managed to get back in the saddle in Jan of this year when I bought a Felt Q220 in the Jan sales. After mucho off road miles I decided to get a road bike and was given - yes GIVEN - a classic Dawes Super Galaxy which I adore!

If you are ever out and about the roads of Berks/Oxon/Surrey and see a slightly knackered bloke on a purple Super Galaxy - it will almost certainly be me!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:01 am 

Hi, I am in Vermont USA and have a nice collection of road bikes made in the UK. I hope folks here can help me with my resto projects. Cheers, Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:51 pm 

Hello everyone! I'm Jim, living in Shropshire UK. I am restoring a Holdsworth Mistral from 1982 to use for a bit of light touring / audax rides. I love the way the components come up all shiny after a bit of the Autosol treatment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:54 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi folks, I'm Adam, I'm 22, and I'm currently at Uni in London. Just bought my first road bike (had MTBs since I can remember!). Bought a roadie this morning from a car boot, it's a bit rough so I'm going to have some fun tidying it up :D

Will post up a thread as I've got some questions about it and don't want to clutter the intro thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:09 pm 

HI All,

Dave from manchester, got here by curiosity on ebay i was searching on Harry Hall as i have one in the garage i have owned from the age of 12 i am now 40. I have since seen the bike that was for sale on here !! I currently ride a cinnelli proxima which i bought second hand in 2002 (is that retro).
I also have a Kona Stinky Delux MTB 1999 which i have had since 2000. So i have always rode bikes but never competitively.

Plan is to restore the HH just because it was the coolest thing i owned at the age of 12 and i never let go of it and even did the manchester blackpool ride 10 years ago on it.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:51 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi there, Just found this thread after introducing myself on a seperate topic.
I'm nearly 60, live near Cannock Chase and have numerous classic lightweights from a 1936 Chater-Lea, through a few Hetchins's''s's', some Percy Stallards, a Carlton Flyer, a Bates, Flying Gate, some Colnagos and some carbon fibre efforts, far too many for a sane bloke, but I love 'em all.
Look forward to shooting the breeze with you all.....The Toff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:45 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Some of you might already know me from other forums where I am also know under the name Polyglot. If truth must be told, I believe that I registered under that name here too without ever posting and then not being able to find back the access password or correct email account (one problem of needing different email addresses for business).

I purchased my first "racing" bike while living in the suburbs of Paris in 1971 and immediately began using it for the ride to school as well as a bit of touring. I later picked up my racing license and raced for a number of years (I was however never overly successful), and working in a number of high-end bike shops as a way of feeding my passion for better and nicer bikes. All told I spent 9 years working in shops. I also dabbled on the side with the import of new products that I came across during my travels.

After completion of my university studies, I started a "real" job, nonetheless keeping a foothold in the bike industry through a part-time collaboration with the then German importer of a number of well-known bike brands, including De Rosa, Mountain Goat, Ibis, Control Tech... This part-time "job" consisted of working as the intermediary between the somewhat language-challenged German importer and the foreign suppliers. I later moved to Italy where I spent a decade attending every imaginable jumbles and car boot sale, and getting to know most of the main collectors and traders.

In 2001, I made a return to the country of my birth after an absence of close to 40 years. I have been living in the US since then.

I have taken part in virtually all aspects of cycling: riding, touring, racing, selling, distributing, collecting, as well as frame-building (having brazed up 3 frames in the early 80's).

I generally have about 20 bikes at a time in my garage, however they do get switched out from time to time. At present, they span a period of over 100 years, going from a Rudge Ordinary all the way up to modern fare. Most of the bikes are Italian, but there is also a sprinkling of others too, including a SWB Bob Jackson racing tandem and a George Longstaff trike.

I was directed here by 80Nicola80 and Slotcar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 79  Next