Giant CADEX rebuilds

reetegoed

Dirt Disciple
Hi y'all
I am starting the rebuild of TWO Giant Cadex bikeS , a 1992 CFM3
and a CFM 2.
The CFM2 will be build as an era- like original.(more of this one later)
But i will start with the CFM3
I am not rebuilding the CFM 3 like original , it's just because i love the framedesign.
The goal is to build an eye- turner because of the nice black carbon tubes and the polished aluminium lugs
The Cadex bikes are now verry cheap (what's in a name , they are like 20 eyars old now..)
I like to reveal the he carbon tubes inserted in nice aluminium sockets.
So I had to removed the paintwork and it took a lot of carefully grinding .
It revealed that the top and downtube are divided into different carbon designs wich was concealed by the paint.
I think the original tubes are a bit boring black without relief from fibres.
so they put some carbon relief on the second halves of the tubes(see picture nbr 2).
Nevertheless i still think it will look nice when the tubes are clearcoated...
I like polished alumium,which ment I had to remove the paint and primer from the alu lugs also.
This was a hell of a job (Giant did a good job on this) I used heavy gear , like toilet drain cleaner for stripping the aluminium.
I tried paint striper which removed the paint but it didn not remove the etching primer on the alu.
A lot of polishing and cleaning later I used clear Alodine on the Aluminium .
I am now ready for the first clear coat on wich the decals will be placed.
I hope to do that this week.
pbpic4137627.jpg

pbpic4137624.jpg

I hope to clearcoat the other frame also in short notice , so pictures will be added soon.
Its tooling time again!

Re: this looks great

Olliepen":1w12abql said:
this looks like it is going to be a great project - could you post a picture of the drop outs?
want to build a singlespeed than eh? ;)
if i don't forget , i will post it this week.
Here's the other frame i have bought , it will stay original.

pbpic4147175.jpg

The first layer of clear coat has been aplied. Its not superb and needs some rubbing but it's good enough for the decals.
pbpic4159925.jpg

pbpic4159922.jpg

The old digital camera I use gives a blue-ish glare..
pbpic4159926.jpg

pbpic4159927.jpg

cheers!

Yes, great project ...and I must say that looks really good for some hobbying :) So you dared to use paintstripper and even more aggresive materials on a bonded carbon frame. Weren't you worried in advance?

Elev12k":2pckiwxj said:
Yes, great project ...and I must say that looks really good for some hobbying :) So you dared to use paintstripper and even more aggresive materials on a bonded carbon frame. Weren't you worried in advance?
Of course i did not touch the carbon or the epocast glue at any moment with the aggressive materials i used. It was taped and the remover was aplied with an brush. Anyway , i have been building surfboards in the eighties and learned that epoxy is realy though, and can stand a lot of aggressive shit .Don't worry.
Now the whole frame has been clearcoated with 2 pack coat i am going to stick two old original Giant decalls on the frame (not the original type that was on it) and for the cadex lettering on the top tube , something else..
The toptube was photographed and the lettering reworked on the computer. Then they will be printed (yes printed) on a epson printer with Durabrite ink on special decall paper which is used in the train modeling world.
This will be applied on the top tube..
experimental? yes.
But this bike is not attended to be rebuild as original..
The other frame will be like original , but that will be a lot of airbrush and touch up work. More sweat , less freedom. :mrgreen:
Cheers

Re: Cable Mounts

Olliepen":3mv6pl9r said:
Looks great - did you apply the clear coat?

How are the cable guides attached to the frame?

Thanks , i sprayed it myself with industrial 2pack (Aerodur)
The cable guides are popped and glued.

Re: Cable Mounts

reetegoed said:
Olliepen said:
Looks great - did you apply the clear coat?

How are the cable guides attached to the frame?

Thanks , i sprayed it myself with industrial 2pack (Aerodur)
The cable guides are popped and glued.

Do you think it would be possible to remove the cable guides without damaging the frame?

Back