Ibis Mojo '95 - update 16-07-2014

mvd1974

Retro Guru
I'm new here, but am looking around for some reactions. And more important: I'm looking for some cantilever brakes in green from around '95. I can't let go the Hershey Long Necks for anything less...

Later on I'll give an exact specification. I tried to build light and vintage. Later this week my Smoke Magic tires arive. I might post some new picks by then. I'm quit excited....

Oh.. yeah.. I weighed it on a personel scale. I says it's about 19.8 lbs or 9 kg. I don't believe that, so weighing each part will be the future. I'll let you know when I come that far.

Attachments

• Ibis '95 almost ready.jpg
    Ibis '95 almost ready.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 10,902
That's superb, looks great and it must be great to ride.

Not being a serious retrobiker myself, the thing I wonder about is whether those Manitous actually work? They look great and I guess they could be the original fork, but ancient Manitous can be a bit on the unspringy side. Being me, I'd whip them off and replace them with my green 98 Z2s, forget period correctness the ride is the thing. But now you're going to tell me they work fine!

Frame: Ibis Mojo with handjob 1995, custom respray with original decals.
Fork: Manitou 3 with an Englund cartridge damper.
Headset: Chris King ahaed 1 1/8”
Stem: Ibis titanium 1 1/8” x 150 (these look soooo nice !!)
Handlebar: Easton EC70
Grips: SRAM transparent
Barends: Ritchey WCS
Brakes: Hershey Long Neck (maybe a change to canti’s if I find them in green)
Brake Levers: Kooka V-brake levers
Shifters: SRAM X-ray 800 with transparent grips.
Front Derailleur: Paul components 409
Rear Derailleur: Paul components Power Glide
Derailleur/brake lines: Jagwire L3 (I know it’s not vintage, but it also has to work nicely)
Cassette: GoldTec titanium nitride coated 8s
Chain: KMC X9SL gold
Cranks: Kooka (the CNC’ed ones) micro drive
Chainrings: Vuelta USA anodized gold.
Bottom Bracket: White Industries titanium
Pedals: Onza HO Ti
Hub Skewers: Tune AC16/17 (Looking for green USA-made skewers)
Hubs: Chris King Classic 32h
Rims: American Classic 350
Tyres: Continental Speed King 2.3 Supersonic (Next week a change to Panaracer Smoke Magic’s)
Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Balistic titanium
Bottle Cage: Ringle H2O

I’m the first owner of the frame, so seem to be kind of married to the frame. Always liked the ride. It’s soft and lively as a steel frame should be. The 1995 is nicer than my 2001 Mojo. Nicer craftmanship and even 200gr lighter than the 2001.

Some things might be there to be swapped in the future. I think the wheels are a bit to new, but they are realy light and fast… So are the brakes, but the Hershey’s look so nice and they are only about a year past date.
The wheels might be Matrix Titan with some nice vintage hubs later on. Not sure yet..

I didn’t ride it yet in this configuration. Last time it was in the woods it was build up as an 8.2kg XC racer with a Ritchey rigid Prestige fork in it.
The Manitou seems to be OK since the Englund damper helps it a bit in getting not to springy in the rebound. I swapped the elastomers. First to springs, but that didn’t turn out fine, so back to elastomers again.

:D :D
Today my 'new' tires came in after a few months on a boat trip, so here's an update...

Not sure if I'll keep 'm on this one, so...

...what do you think ?

BTW, don't mention the brakes in the pic. There are some Stoplights AND some Joe's on their way.

And on that I also don't know where to go for. I think it's gonna be the Joe's. Let me know what you think that might be 'the best'.

Attachments

• Img_4513.jpg
    Img_4513.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 10,408
beautiful frame :cool:
very nice green parts :)
but I am not sure that the blue of the manitou's mixes well with the green.
full black forks would better mix I believe

but for a start , you show top frame and parts ;)

Thats MAGIC.. well apart from I agree about the colour on the forks.. maybe a set of White sids would look ace.. very nice build thus far.. ;)

I was thinking of switching the M3 for an EFC 'cause of '95-'96 years, but now you made me think of a RockShox.

Wasn't the SID from '98 up ?

Or maybe an other suggestion ?

As you might see, I take color as a serious issue, but the year-correctness and hight-end factor is more important for this build.

Thanks for the compliments on the green stuff.. it took me ages to get those together :D

Yea 98 was the first year they got introduced , but if you wanna be more perod correct then it'll have to be a judy SL, I this was offered on the wtf builds I believe. :)

Back