legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Got fed-up with only 6 speeds, all of them wrong:

the local tip is weird, found a Specialized Pro tire in amongst a whole load of stuff a couple of months ago

The day I went on holiday, I found a Bontreger Select front wheel, also with a Specialized Pro tire (and a cheapy almost matching Alex Rim back wheel).

So, decided to play swappsies. Took off the Suntour Suberbe mechs and replaced with some forum sourced Campagnolo Mirage/ Veloce bits.

I now think it looks rather sexy!

Just some twiddling to do - the 8spd cassette is knackered and the mud guards need replacing. The front brake cable stop needs sorting.

The brakes will eventually be replaced with some better Frogleggs

Attachments

• Norman makeover 001.jpg
    Norman makeover 001.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 10,898
  • Norman makeover 002.jpg
    Norman makeover 002.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 10,894
not sure ....

looks very retro ... no modern

also a good tourer ... no racer

sorry to p#ss on your bonfire, but I liked it better before. but then I'm not the one riding it.

I think it looks good, black will make anything look retro unless it's got a big fat down tube. It just has such a conservative reserved look to it. I think it does look like sort of a tourer, long wheel base and Tourers tend to have the relaxed seat post tube from what I can see, but you are the expert and maybe I'm all wrong. Yes, I think the seat post does lay back a bit.

its former look:

norman_fay_redux1_580.jpg

and where its from:

norman_fay_brochure_1_192.jpg

Esoteric wheels are generally a very poor choice for touring bikes. If one of those spokes breaks on a tour, you may struggle to get to the shop, or find a shop that has one to replace it with. Saying that, you don't actually do much touring, you just ride it around a bit. So if you like it, job's a goodun!

chris667":3te3opeq said:
Esoteric wheels are generally a very poor choice for touring bikes. If one of those spokes breaks on a tour, you may struggle to get to the shop, or find a shop that has one to replace it with. Saying that, you don't actually do much touring, you just ride it around a bit. So if you like it, job's a goodun!

I do sometimes ride further than the top shops for sweets and comics you know....

another day another rebuild

Put the Miche/ MA2 wheels back on

Found a Campagnolo Victory chainset (plenty of chainrings on ebay if I do wear one out)

Nuovo Record long cage rear mech - donated from Kermit's rotting corpse and surprisingly sort after.

£2 bargain Campagnolo front mech - prob Nuovo or Gran Sport.

Wheels are damn heavy and I forgot that the freewheel is on it last legs so I might change them for some Record that I have earmarked for something else.

Attachments

• norman rebuild.jpg
    norman rebuild.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 10,707
  • norman rebuild v for victory.jpg
    norman rebuild v for victory.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 10,707
Looks good LGF.

The LF Campag wheels look nice on there, are they MA2? They look black :? Also I'd stick with bigger tyres to fill in the void of the mudguard.

Oh and the lovely Campag crank is Triomphe not Victory ;)

Back