Fixed Gear fans only!

SilverSurfer

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
No pics yet, but maybe soon - feel free to add some though.

I've been an on-off fixer for the last 6 years, but for some reason I'm bitten by it all again. Probably the endless faffing with derailleurs and such etc.

So, how about going fixed only? I'd love a stable full of fixed gear bikes: on road/off road, fast/slow, guards and dynohub/lean & mean and so on.

Piece of p1ss to maintain and great fun to ride, especially for anti-social riders like meself!

Anyone care to go to the dark side (even if only for t'winter)?

I commute on a 700c fixed pace RC200 and love it. Im looking at building a MTB fixie and getting a more touring oriantated one

a user called Cab rides offroad on a fixed gear 29er inbred. drop him a message and i'm sure he'll give you the lowdown - he's a top fella.

3720573823_1347635b03_b.jpg

This is my commuter, served me for a few years now. I reckon it maximises my 10 mile commute and also gives a nice workout in winter. Should be getting a redux sometime soon the drops are really too low to be usable and it was put together on a strict budget. I've enjoyed it so much I reckon I'll lavish a bit of attention on it :)

I also got myself another set of fixed wheels recently and was planning a retro build, but time money and too many bikes is conspiring against me. Big back burner project. :(

I've often ridden a fixie mtb, tried it properly off road and scared myself but its fine on fields and tracks.
I used to chase my Dalmation dog around the field on it, only way I could keep up and tire the dog out, it made matching 'Dotty's' speed easy. Alas no longer have Dotty but the fixie always lives on in some guise or another ;)

Thanks for those replies everyone.

So the question - does anyone (or would anyone) go fixed exclusively? Do you think it could be a plan for someone with limited riding time available to get the absolute most out of an hour here and there?

I like the idea of a a winter fixed, a light summer fixed, an off-road fixed, a time-trial fixed etc.

Lots of bikes but easy to maintain!

A friend of mine rides fixed exclusively. I think to him it's more of a fashion thing though, he's afraid of the fixie club thinking of him like a wimp if they see him riding something geared.. He tries to convince himself when he's talking about fixies being faster than normal roadbikes, which as everyone knows (him included) simply isn't true. I converted an old roadbike because of his enthousiasm and I must say it is kind of fun but I don't see the point of having ony fixed bicycles.

i like the idea of having a fixed gear bike, and intend to build one soon, I wouldn't want to run one exclusively though, I like my gears, plus living in Bristol with all these hills you bloody need them :cool:

if its right for the job then why not? Wouldn't be me but there ye go :)

Back