Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:02 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:06 pm 
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 am
Posts: 5804
Location: In the foothills of the foothills of The Cairngorm Massif :D
What are folks using to backup valued info such as photos and other files nowadays?

I've simply got a couple of external HDs which I transfer stuff onto periodically, but these are only 2TB each, which at the moment is enough space. However I've recently had a couple of instances when either drive has threatened to pack up (especially when transferring drives between computers). Now wondering on other options which don't break the bank.......

I don't have any Apple stuff and don't particularly want to.

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 5123
Location: peak district
What do you mean by threatening to pack up exactly? and are you using, mechanical or solid state? mechanical can be fixed if they stop working, usually something really simple. No medium lasts forever though so wise to back up onto other mediums now and again.

Personaly i use hard drives, internal are cheaper and can buy an enclosure cheap if you really need a case for it.

Mark


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:23 pm 
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 am
Posts: 5804
Location: In the foothills of the foothills of The Cairngorm Massif :D
I have mechanical ones.

have thought about the internal option before- what sort of connector/power supply do they need?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 5123
Location: peak district
Mr Panda wrote:
I have mechanical ones.

have thought about the internal option before- what sort of connector/power supply do they need?



They need a SATA to USB cable, 3.5 drives, out of desktops, need power as the USB isnt enough so look for an enclosure with power supply, much the same as your External one i should imagine. If you go with a 2.5 drive though, out of laptops, you can run them off the USB port so no external power needed.

Now that everyone is after SSD's you can get good external 2.5 drives pretty cheap nowadays. I use internal a lot as i have had a few laptops and desktops and when they get old i just take the Hard drive out and use that for backup, i dont keep pluging them in though to transfer data, just put a load of stuff on there and forget about them, last a lot longer then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 pm 
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 am
Posts: 5804
Location: In the foothills of the foothills of The Cairngorm Massif :D
Like this?......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271659298952?ul_noapp=true

Why the two USB plugs?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 5123
Location: peak district
Mr Panda wrote:
Like this?......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271659298952?ul_noapp=true

Why the two USB plugs?




Some USB devices need extra power, one of the two plugs is for Data and power, the other is for power only. If you popped the Hard drive out of an old laptop then you simply plug the SATA plug into it and the USB into your pc or laptop and it reads it as an external drive, a good way to recover files off a laptop that doesnt boot up anymore. You can wipe the drive and use it just as a back up drive, then like i said you can buy a cheap enclosure for it and carry it about with you. You will see a lot of external hard drives for sale on ebay which are just that, some old hard drive out of a pc/laptop and someone has just bought a cheap enclosure off amazon and popped the drive in and sell it for price of an external.

Thats another thing, amazon seems to be cheaper for enclosures and cables.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:45 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:26 pm
Posts: 301
Location: Lost now on the country miles
Mr Panda wrote:
What are folks using to backup valued info such as photos and other files nowadays?

Online storage, by and large. There are pros and cons but, for many people, the convenience (e.g. automatic backup of phone photos) outweighs the cons (e.g. online storage providers changing their terms and conditions). There are advantages to using your own external hard drives (although, obviously, it's a good idea if they can be kept in a secure location that is somewhere other than where your computer, laptop, etc. are) but if you're wondering about what current trends are, online storage is probably the answer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:03 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 9371
Location: New Forest, UK
I use Blu-ray. There is a special archive-quality writable disc called M-disc which has extra durability in its dyes etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:14 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 5123
Location: peak district
CassidyAce wrote:
Mr Panda wrote:
What are folks using to backup valued info such as photos and other files nowadays?

Online storage, by and large. There are pros and cons but, for many people, the convenience (e.g. automatic backup of phone photos) outweighs the cons (e.g. online storage providers changing their terms and conditions). There are advantages to using your own external hard drives (although, obviously, it's a good idea if they can be kept in a secure location that is somewhere other than where your computer, laptop, etc. are) but if you're wondering about what current trends are, online storage is probably the answer.




:lol: You mean someone elses computer? why? do you think they store your photos anywhere different than you can? Personally i would prefer to store my valuable items myself.


hamster wrote:
I use Blu-ray. There is a special archive-quality writable disc called M-disc which has extra durability in its dyes etc.



Used to use discs, not really looked into blu-ray, how much data can you get on them?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 9371
Location: New Forest, UK
mkone wrote:
hamster wrote:
I use Blu-ray. There is a special archive-quality writable disc called M-disc which has extra durability in its dyes etc.


Used to use discs, not really looked into blu-ray, how much data can you get on them?


25GB.
It's OK for collections of completed work (i.e. the finished album of keepers); I use the HDD for the rest (i.e. all the photos taken in a session unedited)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group