Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:04 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 150
Currently listed on Ebay Australia for the not inconsiderable sum of 100,000 Euro ( £89,864.12 ) this ex ANC bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Orig ... rk:12:pf:0

I initially suspected it might have been Kvetoslav Palov`s as he moved to OZ after his pro career ended but the more I look at it I`m thinking Malcolm Elliott? with the setup of the bars and brake cables and of course the frame size ( as top photo ).
I have messaged the seller to ask if the riders name is on it and no reply.
I recall reading that after leaving ANC , Malc had signed for Fagor but before joining the team spent the winter of `87 in Australia on the Sun Tour ( with Graham Jones? ) .
Does anyone know Malcolm to see if my crazy theory is correct? as the seller bought it at a Sunday Market in Victoria which is where the Sun Tour takes place.
In any case its a great find but at that ridiculous price I think its going to be hanging on that garage wall a while yet !


Attachments:
elliottdf87.PNG
elliottdf87.PNG [ 375.83 KiB | Viewed 817 times ]
ANC-AUSTRALIA.jpg
ANC-AUSTRALIA.jpg [ 107.97 KiB | Viewed 817 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8198
Location: Hereford
Could be a tidy bike with some work but no detail on size or evidence that is an ex-team bike - fair value at the asking price minus £89,600 though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:30 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 150
ededwards wrote:
Could be a tidy bike with some work but no detail on size or evidence that is an ex-team bike - fair value at the asking price minus £89,600 though.


I agree the listing lacks sufficient detail to match the claim and price however I personally have little doubt it`s the real thing ,it has full C Record groupset , cobalto brakes and sigma strada rims, ANC Halfords colours with race number hanger. There were no factory made accurate team replicas, only the low end gaspipe version. Only the crappy pedals and saddle are wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1886
Location: Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds & W. Sussex on the beach.
marshalllucky wrote:
Currently listed on Ebay Australia for the not inconsiderable sum of 100,000 Euro ( £89,864.12 ) this ex ANC bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Orig ... rk:12:pf:0

I initially suspected it might have been Kvetoslav Palov`s as he moved to OZ after his pro career ended but the more I look at it I`m thinking Malcolm Elliott? with the setup of the bars and brake cables and of course the frame size ( as top photo ).
I have messaged the seller to ask if the riders name is on it and no reply.
I recall reading that after leaving ANC , Malc had signed for Fagor but before joining the team spent the winter of `87 in Australia on the Sun Tour ( with Graham Jones? ) .
Does anyone know Malcolm to see if my crazy theory is correct? as the seller bought it at a Sunday Market in Victoria which is where the Sun Tour takes place.
In any case its a great find but at that ridiculous price I think its going to be hanging on that garage wall a while yet !


Friend of mine was a mechanic for ANC on the 87 Tour, he's mentioned in the highly regarded book - Wide Eyed and Legless. - he would have worked on that very bicycle of course - if it is genuine.

Rk.


Last edited by roadking on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 2405
Location: Sheffield, top city
if the ANC riders only had one team bike, then it's not Malc's. A guy I rode with back in the early 90's, who was a friend of malcs rode Malcs bike as a winter bike with mudguards shoehorned-in and eventually scrapped it when the bike succumbed to the effects of several winters


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:25 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:09 am
Posts: 172
pigman wrote:
if the ANC riders only had one team bike, then it's not Malc's. A guy I rode with back in the early 90's, who was a friend of malcs rode Malcs bike as a winter bike with mudguards shoehorned-in and eventually scrapped it when the bike succumbed to the effects of several winters

Little did he know it was a £89k bike :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 4933
Location: Barry
I think the seller has got Malcolm Elliott confused with Jesus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:35 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8198
Location: Hereford
Looking again, head tube looks too short to be Elliot's. But what you lose there you surely gain with that sweet bidon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:00 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 150
Seller responded with photo of BB , this frame number is the same format as the last batch of 753 frames made for ANC before the 87 tour , Paul Watsons, Adrian Timmis`s and Joey Mcloughlins ( although he was replaced at the last minute by Shane Sutton) had the same batch numbers so at least it is genuine. I still think its ME`s bike possibly even this one which he was still using for the Nissan classic in 87 after the tour and after team had gone bust. Malc and some other riders got a cash advance from Halfords to finish the season. It has the same patch of decal missing on the orange bar on the seat tube and the Peugeot decal on the chainstay is unusual as it sits quite high and overlaps onto the paint whereas they are usually always sited on the chromed section only. I really must get another late night hobby, I`m spending far too much time on RB these days.


Attachments:
AustraliaANC.jpg
AustraliaANC.jpg [ 77.22 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]
ANC.australia2.jpg
ANC.australia2.jpg [ 146.24 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]
MalcE.jpg
MalcE.jpg [ 414.86 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group