Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:41 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Perplexed by this very nice Falcon 753 on ebay at the moment. Some may be aware I previously refurbished an ex team 753 from the 1989 PMS Falcon team ( elsewhere on this forum ) and my enquiries concluded Falcon only made 753 for their pro teams. However just look at this beauty, it has chrome rear triangle and forks . a race number hanger and nice chrome work on the lugs but it`s PINK !! but doesn`t look like a respray? . Anyone any clues as my `ex pro bike` radar is going crazy with this one.....Did Falcon ever sponsor any female riders ?.......It`s not my listing by the way !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falcon-ladie ... :rk:4:pf:0

Attachments:
vicky.jpg
vicky.jpg [ 180 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]

Last edited by marshalllucky on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:46 am 
Old School Grand Master

Damn, that's great. I'm not sure why the assumption would be that it's a Women's frame, that pink is purely 80s, not necessarily a feminine pink, and there are plenty of pink men's bikes from well known builders too, plus everyone knows real men ride 52 cm frames.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
Would be interesting to know what it says on the bottom bracket what the rest of 'CKY' is ????

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg [ 181.24 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:32 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

I did message the seller about the lettering on the BB but have had no reply. It is listed as a ladies bike so I carried the assumption forward. The decals are odd, The `pro circuit` was a lowly 501 framed machine which this clearly isnt. I reckon that maybe Falcon had some redundant ex team frames lying about and they used whatever decals they had and prob sold them off ?? . I recall Falcon Campagnolo in the 80`s had some smaller riders with similar frame sizes and I had a great poster years back with Phil Thomas`s Falcon which had the same chrome detailing on the headstock.

Attachments:
phil thomas.jpg
phil thomas.jpg [ 58.16 KiB | Viewed 503 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:09 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I'm surprised, given this is a quality frame possibly an ex team, that it has a band on front changer and not a braze on jobby?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:59 pm 
Retro Guru

I am 100% certain that you will find that the BB is engraved "VICKY" and it would have belonged to Vicky Thomas, wife of Phil Thomas (in the pic above) and sister of Joey McLoughlin......she rode Falcon frames in the 80's when Phil was a pro....I think they were actually built by terry Dolan but I can't actually remember now!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:05 am 
Retro Guru

This could be it.....Vicky is second from left holding the bike...I bet this is the frame in question

Attachments:
DAYSdFtXkAE-3oc.jpg
DAYSdFtXkAE-3oc.jpg [ 464.03 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:48 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

What a fab piece of detective work! Great stuff. I never cease to be amazed by the knowledge and erudition of the members here.

And could that be THOMAS lurking behind the chain wheel there?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Marshall, are you going to go for this?
I am only asking as it is a very nice frame and it's my size as well. So despite the distance involved I could be interested.

Jamie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:08 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Jamiedyer wrote:
Marshall, are you going to go for this?
I am only asking as it is a very nice frame and it's my size as well. So despite the distance involved I could be interested.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, , I am not going for this one,so dont worry about a bidding war ! ( I have bought a 979 Peugeot vitus frame and one of them 125 anniversary Ti Raleigh frames that Deeside cycles have been selling off AND just won an interesting 708 framed Peugeot today all on ebay so my finances are too stretched this month ). I`m just glad my instincts are endorsed about this Falcon, thought it would have been snapped up, wonder if the seller is related to Vicky & Phil Thomas? as the user ebay id has `thom` in it?? ) . Andrew