Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:18 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:23 pm 
Old School Hero

Hi All

A few years ago I was casually browsing local online adverts and came across an 'Old Track Frame' listing. Squinting hard through the slightly hazey pixels, I saw something lugged with track ends - my kind of jazz. I contacted the seller and arranged to meet.

On arrival I was pleased to find a nicely lugged frame in good shape, the seller mentioned he was the 2nd owner and when questioned offered the name Pratt as the builder- there were no decals to suggest this and the lug shape would certainly suggest otherwise... Fleur de lys lugs as you would find on a Gillott.

After some time of questioning the association with Pratt, I had confirmation from the Gillott ME it's not a Gillott for reasons of the frame number and the style of the track ends. So it must be a Pratt, I need to see if I can find out some history and confirmation. On reading online information I got very lucky in finding the Frederick Pratt & Son book through a book retailer, this got me excited. The book turned out to be the perfect reference as the surviving build lists are included, and my frame is listed! But of course the lugs still add a little mystery of how this came to be.

I've been round the thought train many times with this frameset- how to build, do I resto mod, what do I want to get out of it. I've come round to a restoration, with sympathy to the period but using a couple of modern bits along the way. This is a long term project, the main reason being I have a built to order MTB frame in the works and that needs funds to get the parts sorted while its in the jig!

Onto the pictures... here's how the frame (sans paint) sits on 700c wheels

Lugs, lovely Fleur de lys cut. I'm not sure what the headset is...

BB shell, with grease port on the underside

Another completely chance find were these original Frederick Pratt decals, dated from around the 50s by the seller I bought multiple sets of everything he had! I think I'm quickly using up my life's supply of luck finding these... unfortunately they won't be usable, they will be scanned and made into decals when the frame gets paint, but they are a nice piece to history to accompany the frame.

I have sourced a few parts already, still more to find!

GB 531 Spearpoint stem

49D cranks, paint will be removed. I have a couple of chainring options in the stores.

Powell of Coventry rear hub and Airlite front hub, I imagine they have painted barrels as the chrome has gone in the centre, will most likely repaint

Kinlin ADHN rims, these are modern double walled rims that come in both 32 and 40 hole, with a nice classic profile these should look in keeping with the period when built.

I have bars on the way to suit the build, deep drop and of the same era. Plans are the give the frame some fresh paint and source the rest of the bits as we go through the rest of this year, I'm currently undecided on colour but have narrowed in down to a few ideas...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:06 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Looking good :) that's a high bottom bracket, I wonder if it was never meant for the road ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Very nice, looks like it needs smaller wheels though

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:17 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I think it would have been built for sprints / tubs which are essentially 700c. Frederick Pratt was notorious for making short wheelbase bikes that were a bit twitchy for their time

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 pm 
Old School Hero

Midlife wrote:
Looking good :) that's a high bottom bracket, I wonder if it was never meant for the road ?

Thanks! :D

Quite possible it was built with time trials in mind rather than a track machine?... it is drilled at both ends for brakes.

As you say, most likely this would have been run on sprint wheels. It's probably the mildly chubby tyres on those wheels making them look large!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:24 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Testers (TT) riders BITD usually only ran a front brake.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Midlife wrote:
I think it would have been built for sprints / tubs which are essentially 700c. Frederick Pratt was notorious for making short wheelbase bikes that were a bit twitchy for their time

Ah ok that makes sense

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:13 pm 
Old School Hero

Midlife wrote:
Testers (TT) riders BITD usually only ran a front brake.

I guess brakes holes won't tell much about specific usage unless it doesn't have any!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Holes or not it's an absolutely cracking frame :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:48 pm 
Old School Hero

Agreed, it's lovely :) I can't wait to get paint sorted and see this come together