Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:48 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:14 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:51 am
Posts: 341
Location: Bolton
I owned a mk1 very briefly, but it sat in my GF's garage at the time as I was too young and dumb to do anything with it.

So I sold it to my brother, then we found a G40 in a scrap yard 8) and he put it in the Mk1.

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 236.2 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 220.84 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]


However the Mk1 was then stripped and the shell was sold (went off to have a 1.8t put in it apparently). The G40 engine is in my brothers mk3 coupe now (fully seam welded/caged etc)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:20 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 am
Posts: 3372
Location: Dorset
WOW a G40 MK1 :twisted:

I remember test driving a Polo G40 when they first came to the UK 8)

Sounds like you and your brother are handy with a spanner, shame your not local :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:51 am
Posts: 341
Location: Bolton
widowmaker wrote:
Sounds like you and your brother are handy with a spanner, shame your not local :)


He is but I'm not - it's safer for the general public if I stick to fixing old bikes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:48 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 am
Posts: 3372
Location: Dorset
Joe_Rides wrote:
widowmaker wrote:
Sounds like you and your brother are handy with a spanner, shame your not local :)


He is but I'm not - it's safer for the general public if I stick to fixing old bikes!


Me too :!:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 9148
Location: New Forest, UK
I had a metallic liver coloured Mk2 1.1GL breadvan back in the late 80s. I remember the dreadfully heavy brakes as VW couldn't be bothered to re-engineer a servo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 am
Posts: 3372
Location: Dorset
hamster wrote:
I had a metallic liver coloured Mk2 1.1GL breadvan back in the late 80s. I remember the dreadfully heavy brakes as VW couldn't be bothered to re-engineer a servo.


After driving modern cars, we have a Subaru Impreza and an Audi TT in the Widowmaker household when I first drove the Polo back from the Garage the brakes were terrible :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

After a few weeks I have gotten used to them, they are a bit like catilever brakes :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 9148
Location: New Forest, UK
widowmaker wrote:
After driving modern cars, we have a Subaru Impreza and an Audi TT in the Widowmaker household when I first drove the Polo back from the Garage the brakes were terrible :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

After a few weeks I have gotten used to them, they are a bit like catilever brakes :P


They do indeed work well-enough, no fade etc, but it's just the big pedal pressure takes some getting used to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:57 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 am
Posts: 3372
Location: Dorset
hamster wrote:
widowmaker wrote:
After driving modern cars, we have a Subaru Impreza and an Audi TT in the Widowmaker household when I first drove the Polo back from the Garage the brakes were terrible :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

After a few weeks I have gotten used to them, they are a bit like catilever brakes :P


They do indeed work well-enough, no fade etc, but it's just the big pedal pressure takes some getting used to.


I have a set of VWII calipers from a MK1 Golf GTI which I am refurbishing to fit along with vented discs and decent pads which should improve things. It only has a mere 55bhp to cope with and its a light old car :P

Its a hoot to drive though, CD on, arm out the window, bass thumping through a single 1980's 6 x 4 speaker 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group