Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:36 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: kona 1997 team explosif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:13 pm 
Dirt Disciple

1997 race team frame. The paint it exceptional considering its age. Is this the real deal ?

Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3097645965

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:49 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

It's funny, as nice and clean as it is, I wouldn't personally want to pay top dollar for a Kona that has whats looks like a half-hearted paint job execution. Well, perhaps not half-hearted, more, less-factory.

I have no doubt that it would ride wonderfully, etc. Just, it doesn't look as good as a box fresh standard Explosif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:50 pm 
Old School Grand Master

That looks genuine to me. Check mine out for a comparison. It's got all the right features even down to some of the decals. This one is missing a RaceFace mine has. It looks in tremendous condition and I can tell you it's the best bike I've ever ridden. I absolutely love mine.

How did up in Australia and who's willing to take a punt and get it shipped over here? Pip? Canuck? Magas? Ernie?

And there's nothing half hearted about the paint job. It's uber uber cool and really well done. Remember these were knocked up quickly to ease pressure from Columbus...

Last edited by al-onestare on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:58 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

How do they differ from the normal Explosif? Other than paint job.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Saw this and was very tempted.

Im glad al has had a look at it, i have spent a while now comparing it with his bike and they look pretty much the same, low Kona decal and everything.

Had a few concerns though but am messaging the seller to hopefully clear some of them up.. The paint looks in really good condition, very fresh and new looking, surely it would have a few battle scars!? Are the serial numbers different on these or just standard numbers? think they were just production frames painted up, am i right? would there be a way to tell if someone had resprayed the bike to make it look like a team bike?

mark

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:41 pm 
Retro Guru

al-onestare wrote:
How did it end up in Australia and who's willing to take a punt and get it shipped over here? Pip? Canuck? Magas? Ernie

Well it is an 18", which is my preferred size...... and I see that AU $340.00 shipping converts to £190, which is less that it cost me to have my 1998 Ku shipped from Toronto.

Pip.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:50 pm 
Old School Grand Master

FluffyChicken wrote:
How do they differ from the normal Explosif? Other than paint job.

Simply put, it's a 97 Explosif with 98 routing. IMO the finest all steel frame Kona ever made: all Columbus Genius including the stays.

For serial numbers, you should be looking for late, very late 97 season, mine is in the thread and I'll repost it tomorrow when I get it out of the bike box for my first ride in the Dales. These were knocked up very late in the season.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:11 am 
Retro Guru

mkone wrote:
.. The paint looks in really good condition, very fresh and new looking, surely it would have a few battle scars!? mark

An explanation for this could be that it was a backup spare, although it would appear than not many team riders rode 18" frames.

From what I can see Roland Green, Ryder Hesjedal & Dave Wiens used 20", while Leslie Tomlinson & Trish Sinclair used 17". The only two pictures that I have of Seamus McGrath on a Kona Team bike, he appears to be riding an 18”.

I'd be interested Mark if you receive any response to your concerns put to the seller.

Pip

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:37 am 
Old School Grand Master

Apparently they were used by the b-team or national riders on the rosta. And it's fair to say not all them were used: they were put together quickly to try and ease the pressure created by the main team riding ti frames with Columbus logos (sponsored).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:46 am 
Old School Grand Master

I've just shared this on a few Fb pages. Curious to see what the wider community thinks.