Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Modern Kona
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:48 pm
Posts: 221
Location: Marchwood
Seeing as i love my newly restomodded 91 Explosif so much, i thought I'd look for a modern full sus Kona frame to upgrade my 2017 hardtail Orbea....

I found my perfect one...2016 Kona Hei Hei race, cant wait to build this up and see the difference 25years makes to a Kona!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 873
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
If you look at my signature that lists the bikes that I own, you'll understand that I am a Kona fanatic from a particular period. This frame however looks divine, with superb lines. A guy at my LBS owns one, and swears by it.

Looking forward to this build.

Pip.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Kona
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:20 am
Posts: 1907
Location: Austria
I love Kona's too :wink: and I own some and ride them also - they are the only 26" I rode - all my other 26" are wallhangers or garage queen in the end :oops:

But when it comes to 29", which are the one I frequently ride, I opted for other markes then Kona :facepalm:

I have to say that the 29 Hei Hei was on my wishlist (either 100 mm or 120 mm) - due a lot of pos. comments - but the price for it, is to steep for me and second hand ones are rare.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Kona
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:48 pm
Posts: 221
Location: Marchwood
magas wrote:
I love Kona's too :wink: and I own some and ride them also - they are the only 26" I rode - all my other 26" are wallhangers or garage queen in the end :oops:

But when it comes to 29", which are the one I frequently ride, I opted for other markes then Kona :facepalm:

I have to say that the 29 Hei Hei was on my wishlist (either 100 mm or 120 mm) - due a lot of pos. comments - but the price for it, is to steep for me and second hand ones are rare.


You are right about them being rare secondhand.....this is the only one i have seen! I paid £500 for the frame, but the seller did include the wheels, stem, handlebars, seatpost, saddle, seatpost collar and bottom bracket, which i thought was a fair deal. I've secured a new set of Rockshox Reba's for this and I'm hoping to at least get this to rolling chassis status by the end of the weekend...providing the headset turns up tomorrow :facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Kona
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:43 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:20 am
Posts: 1907
Location: Austria
:shock: 500 jeez - dont tell me its size M - then I would be a bit jealous :lol:

no, honestly its a real fair deal with all that stuff included. I would have taken the bare frame for 500.

looking forward to the rolling chassis - Reba its a good start :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Kona
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts: 367
Location: The Kingdom of Wessex
I like old Konas that are made from straight steel tubes - not too sure if the modern alley hyrdo ones provide enough differentiation to tempt me back..Cant wait to see what this looks like built up, though.

Does it have internal cable routing?

I would defo put a dropper on it - for me its up there with helmets for safety- I dont care that they weigh a tonne....

Also is that a 148X12 rear end? and the tire clearance looks huge- will take a 2.8"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Kona
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:42 am 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:48 pm
Posts: 221
Location: Marchwood
fotorat1 wrote:
I like old Konas that are made from straight steel tubes - not too sure if the modern alley hyrdo ones provide enough differentiation to tempt me back..Cant wait to see what this looks like built up, though.

Does it have internal cable routing?

I would defo put a dropper on it - for me its up there with helmets for safety- I dont care that they weigh a tonne....

Also is that a 148X12 rear end? and the tire clearance looks huge- will take a 2.8"?


In answer to your questions, it has internal routing for rear mech and dropper post (dropper will have to wait a few months for finances to recover!) and its a 142x12 rear end, so not the newest spec but plenty for me.

Anyway, here is the rolling chassis so far, last few bits have turned up so will hopefully have this completed this weekend
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Kona
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:23 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:48 pm
Posts: 221
Location: Marchwood
Its Finished!
Had a quick trip round the work car park and it fits perfectly!, bit of sag setup still to do...but love it so far!
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:53 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 873
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
That looks excellent. Well done with a tidy build.... and quickly completed too.

You mention in your first post that you....."can't wait to build this up and see the difference 25 years makes to a Kona". Well horses for courses and all that, but I would be interested in what you think of this Hei Hei.

Pip.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:42 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:48 pm
Posts: 221
Location: Marchwood
pipmeister wrote:
That looks excellent. Well done with a tidy build.... and quickly completed too.

You mention in your first post that you....."can't wait to build this up and see the difference 25 years makes to a Kona". Well horses for courses and all that, but I would be interested in what you think of this Hei Hei.

Pip.


Thanks!

So far, my first impressions of this Hei Hei is that it suits me perfectly, the geometry and size feel just perfect for me. The only other full sus i ever rode was my old Giant NRS 2, and that felt like a pig compared to this, I will have to wait till its had some good runs out in the New Forest to really evaluate it, but so far, so good!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group