Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:35 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

What to do with the Stars & Stripes
Poll ended at Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:58 pm
Patch it up & push it on 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
100% Bells & Whistles Restoration 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
History preserving Retro-Mod 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 17
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:12 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
The History Man wrote:
I’d want Helen Mirren for that.

What as well ?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:04 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

PeachyPM wrote:
kermitgreenkona88 wrote:
I'll pay postage and can hang it on my wall if you like :?: :wink:

You’re on! £400 and I’ll even gift wrap it! :xmas-big-grin:

Only joking..... she’s mine, all mine..... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

You might have noticed that the two "Stars & Stripes" threads (original post & Poll) have been merged, Thanks Jamie.
Also, the name has been changed and the whole lot will be moved over to Readers Rides asap. Hope this doesn’t confuse anyone, we just thought it would be better this way.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

They (the Retro-mod gang) think it’s all over! But what’s this coming to spoil the Shimano party?

Mr Chater Lea that's who... with his funky 1.45" x 26tpi obsolete bottom bracket size.

I must admit I was getting a little disheartened with how crap the paint looked after bloody hours of works, so I thought I would have a dry run with the 90's Jap kit, just for a break from monotonous cleaning. But of course, silly me... no BB will fit this other than the one it came with.... so I'm afraid that’s it... she’s getting a coat of wax, all the surviving kit will go back on and the frame will get a close wrap with waxed brown paper. then she's getting hung up till I can muster the strength to start again on a full restoration.

I'll break it to the lad gently in the morning over his coco pops :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:09 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

I would do it later otherwise Coco Pops will forever have a sour taste ;)

Jamie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:49 am 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM

Give him All Bran. That way the bike problem will seem like good news.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:02 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

PeachyPM wrote:
They (the Retro-mod gang) think it’s all over! But what’s this coming to spoil the Shimano party?

Mr Chater Lea that's who... with his funky 1.45" x 26tpi obsolete bottom bracket size.

I must admit I was getting a little disheartened with how crap the paint looked after bloody hours of works, so I thought I would have a dry run with the 90's Jap kit, just for a break from monotonous cleaning. But of course, silly me... no BB will fit this other than the one it came with.... so I'm afraid that’s it... she’s getting a coat of wax, all the surviving kit will go back on and the frame will get a close wrap with waxed brown paper. then she's getting hung up till I can muster the strength to start again on a full restoration.

Can't you go square taper axle and ball races with the original BB cups? If you know the axle bearing distance I might be able to help with that

Failing that I've got a box of very old cottered cranks and chainrings somewhere which may be of use

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

allenh wrote:

Can't you go square taper axle and ball races with the original BB cups? If you know the axle bearing distance I might be able to help with that

Failing that I've got a box of very old cottered cranks and chainrings somewhere which may be of use

Thanks for the offer Allen, but the Retro-mod was only ever a fun stop-gap until I had time to do the bike justice.

She’s gone back into the “queue”

Last edited by PeachyPM on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 pm 
Retro Guru

PeachyPM wrote:

Sensible. Each period has it's compatibilty issues. I was kind of wondering about the lack of braze-ons to run gears and brakes, and fitting band-on clip cable guides would probably ruin more paint.

Why not restore as a track bike?

After all, it does have "track" dropouts.

You could possibly treat your lad to take it for a spin at Herne Hill which would be a memorable experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:53 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Woz wrote:
PeachyPM wrote:

Sensible. Each period has it's compatibilty issues. I was kind of wondering about the lack of braze-ons to run gears and brakes, and fitting band-on clip cable guides would probably ruin more paint.

Why not restore as a track bike?

After all, it does have "track" dropouts.

It will be restored as a single speed flip/flop track/path bike, it came with a 19t and a 16t on its wheel. My plans are for it to keep the following kit;
Cinelli stem
Brampton Alatet Mk1 Head set
Gnutti cottered crank set
Chater Lea, cups/axle
Chater Lea pedals
Clement Albione 27”x1 ¼” rims
Plain aluminium seat post
Brooks swallow saddle

To complete I will probably add
Chromed Bailey bend bars
Bayliss-Wiley Featherweight or British hub Co Airlite 40h/32h Hubs
Stainless steel double butted spokes

No brakes, just balls!

Last edited by PeachyPM on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next