Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:26 am 
Retro Guru

OldTel wrote:
Hi,
just a thought, are you sure it is not a 1939 Anglo Continental Sprint ?

Terry

Yes Terry, the ‘9’ could stand for 1939 as well as 1949, & I did briefly check look at that catalogue, but the details don’t match up, it's got path/track ends rather than continental drop outs, the latter improved “Bi-laminated” head and last but not least the post 1948 metal “Olympic rings” head badge.

People, she is a 1949 Olympic Path.

Last edited by PeachyPM on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 am 
Retro Guru

keithglos wrote:
Without looking at frame numbers I would have guessed 1952/3. Brampton deadly headset is certainly in the 50s. Been wrong before about CB though.
Keith

Keith, check the earlier photos on the thread, showing the Chater Lea bottom bracket. Defiantly the pre-1950 numbering system, with the first number ‘9’ denoting 1949. Also with the post 1948 Olympic head badge that pretty much nails it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:33 am 
Retro Guru

Big Block wrote:
If it was mine, I would degrease the frame then use Evapo-Rust soaked cloth wrapped around the tubes (avoiding decals). If it is a warm day, then wrap the applied cloth with clingwrap to limit it drying.
Use cotton buds dampened with Evapo-Rust near delicate decals.

Trial on other similar conditioned items first to get experience with how long it will take.
Note to Jamiedyer: Please no contests where this project is eligible. It would be good to know more about this frame before it was worked on.

I received not dissimilar advice in a private message, Evapo-rust was ordered this morning.
I agree, before I do anything drastic I'm hoping this thread might attract some more background or history.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 am 
Retro Guru

non-fixie wrote:
Wonderful find. Subscribing!

Always good to have you onboard Non-fixie. :lol:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:47 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Hi,
I just thought I would explain my reasoning as it maybe useful, it is just an opinion.

Your Frame has a Seat lug - Bilaminate ?
Chater lea bottom brackets tend to have a serial number on the casting post war
Claud did do refurb's post war, I have one with both a pre war number ( 1938/48 ) or post ( it is a pre war model but ! ), but also with a standard 1953 set of numbers on the BB, it has had a simplex 51 shifter fitting added and repaint.

I hope this doesn't muddy the waters to much, either side of the war is nightmare for dating a frame.

Thanks

Terry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm 
Retro Guru

OldTel wrote:
Hi,
I just thought I would explain my reasoning as it maybe useful, it is just an opinion.

Your Frame has a Seat lug - Bilaminate ?
Chater lea bottom brackets tend to have a serial number on the casting post war
Claud did do refurb's post war, I have one with both a pre war number ( 1938/48 ) or post ( it is a pre war model but ! ), but also with a standard 1953 set of numbers on the BB, it has had a simplex 51 shifter fitting added and repaint.

I hope this doesn't muddy the waters to much, either side of the war is nightmare for dating a frame.

Thanks

Terry

Hello Terry,
Yes it all gets a bit murky doesnt it? I should quilfy my assertion thats its an "Olympic Path" that it is of course only my opinion and one thats based on my own reaserch and not documented proof.

What I'm really keen to find out more of is who might have commisioned it in the first place.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 pm 
Retro Guru

Just to show my thinking behind the 1949 Olympic Path claim.
The bottom bracket has a 9 at the start of what seems to be the most likely sequence out of the three sets of numbers stamped there. Its commonly assumed that this would mean either 1929, 39 or 49.
The head has a metal Olympic rings badge, this was first introduced in 1949 after the previous year’s 1948 Olympics.
This is what leads me to believe the stamped “9” refers to 1949

Now for the details, the first picture from the 1949 catalogue shows the same improved Bi-laminated sleeves that this bike has (detail 3) the notes say “An improved version of the C.B. “Bi-laminated” head. Standard on models 1, 2 and 25. Note the C.B. “Olympic” head badge. it also has detail 6 "path" rear ends and the fork crown No 10 with the 7/8" round blades and seat cluster detail No 12 for Path models.

So now if we look at Path Models page we see an illustration and description of the Model No. 25. “Olympic Path” that matches this bike. If then look up models 1 & 2, these are “Avant Coureur” models with the pretty continental drop outs rather than the path racers rear facing slots.

Attachments:
931600 E.jpeg
931600 E.jpeg [ 263.09 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]
P1.jpg
P1.jpg [ 339.85 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]
P10.jpg
P10.jpg [ 188.11 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]
P4.jpg
P4.jpg [ 178.14 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:51 pm 
Retro Guru

Your lugs are clearly castings, as is the Chater bottom bracket shell. Without taking the paint off it might be possible to check with a small magnet.
Most bi laminate track frames has 1.125 inch top tube.
Bur the CB catalogues around 1950 claim the use of steel bracket shells which are "stronger than castings".
Post war there were many shortages of components, The catalogue would be produced around October of the previous year, without any knowledge of what the frames would be built from, so variations are common.

Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:59 am 
Retro Guru

keithglos wrote:
Your lugs are clearly castings, as is the Chater bottom bracket shell. Without taking the paint off it might be possible to check with a small magnet.
Most bi laminate track frames has 1.125 inch top tube.
Bur the CB catalogues around 1950 claim the use of steel bracket shells which are "stronger than castings".
Post war there were many shortages of components, The catalogue would be produced around October of the previous year, without any knowledge of what the frames would be built from, so variations are common.

Keith

Hello Keith,
I've tried the magnet test you recommended (see photo) with one of my kid’s fridge magnets, it sticks well all over the lugs, would this suggest they are not cast? They don’t look or feel cast to me; the edges are too sharp.

As for the tube size, I measured them with my digital verniers, the top tube is exactly 1" the down & seat tubes are 1.125"

Attachments:
MagnetTest.jpeg
MagnetTest.jpeg [ 506.72 KiB | Viewed 52 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:53 am 
Retro Guru

If it had fillet joints of sifbronze I would expect a small magnet would have less adherance where the joint is.A magnet will stick to cast iron or steel with some variations.

Historically I was always more interested in making the sometimes poor design and quality of our equipment functon beyond expectations than the appearance. But increasingly I find I can't rely on my memory.

Keith