Transporting children

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Anyone know anything about trailer bikes and the like?

We want to all go out as a family as soon as possible, and of course need to transport baby Alfie in the safest possible way.

So, any ideas people?

Thanks

Ive been using my tralier for years, my oldest is 9 now, and i got it when she was 3, now im taking my other 2 out, ages 1and 2, i do about a 30 mile off road ride, ill have to go out and see what make it is, as i cant remember, but its still going strong after the abuse ive given it, and the kids love it, plus great for pulling camping gear etc, ;)

paul

Cool :cool:

Any pics?

Would the kids get on ok with light off road; footpaths and the like?

Is there a minimum age for kids in them?

cant find any pics, :( but coral was 3 when i took her off road, and it was rough, she loved it, just let the tires down a bit as no suspension, i think from around 2ish doing light off road would be fine, im just doing road rides at the mo, but kids love it, i started with seats on the bike, but i hated them, trailers are much better, plus storage, as i live near the beach so i bung loads of beach gear in, :D

Personally I wouldn't take out kids before 12 months old and they can hold their head up properly, even in a trailer they get bumped about a bit too much and with the weight of a helmet can damage their neck.

http://www.ibike.org/education/infant.htm

but if thats the case I would start saving for that offroad seat that was at Mountain mayhem [the orange one] I can't find it on the net though.

ive taken my youngest in a 2 wheel trailer since she was about 13 months and she loves it, never off road yet, though will do some forestry tracks with her an my holidays.
My older girl was on the tag along (1 wheel bike attatched to my seatpost ) till she was about 5 1/2, now shes on her own bike. We did some pretty rough rides like that both on man made and natural trails, she could manage up to around 12 miles before she got crabbit, but mostly she loved it and never fell off once. They have no fear if they think your in control. You could use her as kind of nitrous to give you a boost up hills if you shouted at her to pedal, though i think most of the time it was me doing the work..

I've had a Burley Bee since my daugher was 9 months old - she is about to turn 5 now, and still goes in it. Her legs stick out (she ends up in hysterics as she touches my tyre with her feet!), and although she's a skinny minny I have to admit it gets hard to pull her along. I've never taken her properly offroad though - just never seemed right to me.

My son is only 5 weeks old and I'm itching to get him in it :D

A couple of things to be aware of (maybe only with the Burley) - the trailer sits slightly off centre (about 6"), so careful when you try to judge gaps :shock: , and the standard attachment it comes with won't fit if you have discs (might be different nowadays though, but I had to buy a replacement QR with a clamp on it)

http://www.burley.com/products/child/bee.cfm

The Burley is good though as it collapses almost flat......

Dave.

ill find out the make of mine today as much cheaper than a burley, and ive used it off road alot, why doesnt it seem right to use one off road ? why not, much safer than the blooming roads these days :D

Kids off road

I wouldn't take any young child off road, either in a trailer or on a carrier as I feel its just plain irresponsible, how would you feel if they were badly injured? Think about it? A trailer bike is a good thing on road though, but not on a main road either and only when they get old enough. Get them up and on a bike as soon as they can ride tho and limit ur rides with them to short so they can cope. Being a parent inevitably means major sacrifices.

Back