rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
storma.jpg

storm1a.jpg

storm2a.jpg

New nylon liners for cables are in...took only 10 minutes to do it :LOL:

Next is fork... has somebody assemble it using other than Kleins original tool?

Lovely. Are you and Kai in competition for the biggest (and nicest) Klein collection? :LOL:

Shamus":xyxktcin said:
New nylon liners for cables are in...took only 10 minutes to do it :LOL:

Next is fork... has somebody assemble it using other than Kleins original tool?

the bearings are already/still in the frame right? most important when mounting the fork is that the bearing seats on the fork are perfectly clean. not scratches, no marring and no loctite remnants. you may want to carefully clean the with fine sand paper. same with the inner side of the bearings.

if helps if you put the fork into the freezer if it is large enough and wife allows ;) take it out, wipe the bearing seats dry, apply a thin layer of loctite to the bearing seats and carefully "hammer" the fork into the bearings.

don't hammer on the drop outs and don't hammer on the underside of the crown directly but use a round piece of wood that snuggly fits into the underside of the crown, wrap it in cloth and hammer on that piece of wood. you may replace the wood with something else that is fit for purpose.

don't hammer hard but use a hammer that is heavy enough. if the fork doesn't slide in easily something is wrong. the press fit is not overly tight and if the fork is cooled down it should be slim enough to slide in relatively easily.

IMPORTANT: mount the bottom seal before you insert the fork!

Carsten

Shamus":1sbu6pcc said:
Thanks Carsten!

Upper bearing is on the frame, lower one is with fork, but not on it´s place.

Should I take lower bearing away from fork also and put that one to the frame or glue it on the fork?

I was thinking to use Park Tool Bearing cup press.
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... em=HHP%2D2

no, leave the bearing on the fork then. just in addition heat the lower part of teh head tube up before you install the fork. i assume that the rubber seal is also still on the fork below the head set?

the press as is won't help you much. you would need proper fitting adapters against which the upper and lower parts of the press would rest. the upper adapter would need to rest on the outer part of the head tube and the lower one somehow on the underside of the crown. i think holden has explained how he has down it either here or on mtbr.com but i don't think you need it. the "hammer" method has the advantage that you don't touch the frame with anything. that's the biggest problem with the Klein tool. it can slip and then damage the paint on the head tube or the head tube it self.

Carsten

Yep, it is!
It only took 3,5 months to get it back from painter... he had so much else to do :roll:

But I think it was worth to wait ;)

congratulations shamus, this is absolutely amazing :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
(although i'm not really a fan of the "storm" paintjob design)

Back