Genesis Croix de Fer. Ambitious 2 week build. Finished!

albash82

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Just ordered a frameset as I want a cx style bike for my new commute to work. It's 13 miles and the route with quieter roads will mean a couple of miles of bridleway.
I've got various bits lying around as I've been flirting with the idea of a road bike for some time. The rest will be random stuff from the workshop at work. I'm aiming for a cheap build, as I already have most of the drivetrain. I'll most probably get carried away though (hello v-twin!).
croixdeferframe.png

Frame: Genesis Croix De Fer 2012 60cm

Fork: Genesis cromo

Headset: FSA
Stem: Thomson elite 120mm
Handlebar: Ritchey
Bar Tape: Bontrager Gel Cork, Brown

Brake Adaptor: Hope V-Twin
Brake Calipers: Hope Tech X2
Brake Pads: Hope

Shifters: Sram Force
Front Derailleur: Sram Force
Rear Derailleur: Sram Force
Cassette: 11-27 Dura ace
Chain: Dura ace
Cranks: FSA vero square taper
Chainrings: FSA 52/39
Bottom Bracket: Square taper
Pedals: Shimano M520 white

Front Rim: Mavic CXP 33
Rear Rim: Mavic CXP 22
Front Hub: Deore XT
Rear Hub: DT Swiss sealed
Hub Skewers: Deore XT
Nipples: DT Swiss, brass
Spokes: DT Swiss, competition
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 32c
Tubes: Bontrager

Saddle: Madison Flux, brown
Seatpost: Kinesis
Seatpost Binder: Genesis

Pretty much identical to what I'm undertaking. I'm trying so hard to find a set of cheap pro 2's as I'd much rather them than XT's. Also, if you can, go for the BB7's over BB5's. So much less faff...

Cheers for the link, tbh, it's still sat in its box at work. I had a mentally busy day, people have started buying bikes like crazy! So really just wanted to get home.
Also, I've not built the wheels yet, just found time to measure up for spokes at end if play, it would seem that I've the correct lengths in stock, if I use 14mm nipples on the rear, but I'm not fussy.

Will a gear ratio of 52/39 and 12/28 kill me on the hills? I consider myself pretty fit as i do a fair bit of mtb'ing. Never had a proper road bike though...
I run my 32lb remedy 1x 10: 35t / 11-36
My 26lb hardtail 1x10 38t / 11-36
Not found too much I can't get up...

So I ordered a Hope v-twin brake setup today :roll:
Looking forward to getting it all built. Very nearly finished the wheels, hoping the Ritchey stem I have will be long enough, I'll find out soon enough. Hope to have it finished by Friday! Pics will start tomorrow.

Looking good. Those gears will get you up most stuff. I'm building a bike that for the first time in about 17 years won't have 12-23 at the back.

Finished front wheel & cobbled this together to gauge what sort of size it'll be. I knew it was quite short for a 60cm, but the headtube is really short too. Got 85mm drop with the stem flipped up!
C819CFBD-4965-4EAA-AAAE-A9CD60740DA7-7474-00000BF68CA76742.jpg

Back