Raleigh USA Technium Peak (Baltic Bawbags Ride)

DynaCol

MacRetro Rider
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
This started with a mini restoration on my 92 Dynatech Ogre after visiting this site a few months ago and catching the retro bug. Once that was finished I felt the need for more retro bikage in my life and started the hunt for the next project.
Having worked in a couple of Raleigh shops BITD and lusted after some of the top end machines I used to sell, but could never afford at the time, the project had to be an old raleigh as a companion for my Dynatech. So when Nevadasmith put the Peak frameset up for sale it was a no brainer really. The frame is a 19" which is slightly bigger than I would normally go for but at the age of 37 I'm long over due a growth spurt so I'm sure I'll grow in to it ;) .
Most of the bits for the build have arrived but am still waiting on some key pieces so will add updates as things progress. In the mean time there's a pic of the parts I have started restoring with retrobike anti ageing cream (aka Autosol).

Attachments

• Peak Frame.jpg
    Peak Frame.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 4,789
  • XT Parts.jpg
    XT Parts.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 4,788
That's nice, very nice indeed :).

Those components look minty fresh, DynaCol, you've done a very clean job there. I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Cheers Rusty,

The components were all in pretty good condition when I got them, a few scratches etc but nothing too bad. A quick clean and polish and the cranks and mechs are looking like new.
Still got the cantilevers to clean up and the SPD's will need sanding and painting before their at a standard which will match the rest of the bike.

PS any advice on the best way to restore the finish on the SPD's would be appreciated. Don't know if it is wise to dismantle the pedals or leave them as is and mask and paint the outer body only.

Cheers,

Col

Attachments

• M737 SPD's.jpg
    M737 SPD's.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4,741
Looks like you are set for a great build there! Glad it arrived OK.

The anodised purple finish on this frame has to be seen to be believed - very :cool:

Cheers buddy,

I think the hardest part of the build so far was stripping off all the packing :LOL:. Seriously though I appreciate the time you spent on packing it up safely. You're right about the colour/finish, it's almost like new.
Most of the parts arrived sooner than expected so managed to get started last night. The M095 STI units I won on ebay should arrive next week and still need to get a period saddle, though I like the look of the Bontrager I have on it at the mo.

Col

nevadasmith":1bzhoobx said:
Looks like you are set for a great build there! Glad it arrived OK.

The anodised purple finish on this frame has to be seen to be believed - very :cool:

Cheers for all the comments guys. Small update from yesterday.

Have finished refurbing the gears/brakes and fitted to bike. The chainset is looking particularly good IMHO. There were no dust caps fitted so have used some silver brand-x self extracting bolts which I think enhance the look but still look like they could have been an original part.
Not much more I can do now until the XT M095 STI units arrive. Should get this finished next weekend.

Cheers,

Col

Attachments

• Peak mid-build.jpg
    Peak mid-build.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 4,635
  • M730 Chainset.jpg
    M730 Chainset.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 4,635
Those crank bolts look nice, have you a link to them? I have some M730 cranks that need some of them ;)

Very nice job on the chainset too.

Back