1997 Giant MCM980 with 2012 upgrades and a few trick parts

Inzaman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Some back story as to how this came about;

I was after a modern carbon fibre full suspension machine to hack about the trail parks and the like but couldn't really source anything different or stand out from the current crop of generic bikes at a reasonable price. There were a few nice ones but with prices in the £2k to £4k region it was a bit more than i wanted to spend.

However on my look out i stumbled across a totally standard 1997 Giant MCM980 which is a carbon fibre front and aluminium rear triangle. Not really what i was after as i wanted modern but my retro fondness and my eye for the lovely frame took hold. It was all original with original tyres and coupe deluxe rear shock and XC long travel forks with a mixture of XT and LX groupset. I replaced the elastomer’s in the forks from suspensionforkparts.net and set about putting it to use.
I used it a couple of times in its standard state at Cannock and some XC but tbh it was showing its age, although i really liked the geometry of the bike i thought i had made a bit of a bad decision getting another retro machine. To be fair a long time has passed since 1997 and many things have developed for the better and i just wasn’t up to the pace of my mates who were pushing their machines to the limit and at the end of a the runs i would be beat with aching hands from the V’s and aching upper body etc.

However whilst out and about on the 980 some fellow riders would comment on how nice the frame looked and how different it was, and that’s when it hit me, I had a plan, I will embark on a project to modernise this bike as it is different and it is carbon fibre and it will be a one off and it wont cost £2k+ – awesome.

I have therefore spent the last few months researching what to change – forks and rear shock were a given, thinking of colour schemes and the various ways to do carbon fibre and red. I have sold other period parts i was collecting to upgrade this as i thought i will go as much modern as possible. Also added to this was the complexity of not trying to overly change the geometry and to try and work out the rear shock stroke so as not to bottom out the rear end etc.

So here it is after many months of calculating and sourcing and a good few hours of building my modernised MCM980 with, in the main, modern forks, wheels, tyres, brakes, and rear shock. I kept the M737 running gear as this is fine and didn't really need changing plus it saved a fair amount of money. I am very happy with this bike as it is a one off build and look and it feels very nice to ride as the modern equipment, particularly the front and rear shocks, are a revelation as i have only ever ridden 96 & 97 Judy forks.

I took these with my iPhone so not the best of resolutions.

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Frame: Giant MCM980 Carbon Fibre
Fork: Marzocchi 4X
Rear Shock: Rock Shox Monarch RT3
Headset: Ritchey 1 1/8 WCS
Stem: Atherton Pro 50mm Downhill Stem
Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Carbon Fibre over sized
Grips: ODI X-Treme Lock-On
Brakes: Shimano XT M785 disc brakes 203mm front floating disc, 160mm rear floating disc
Shifters: Shimano XT M739
Front Derailleur: XT M738
Rear Derailleur: XT M739
Cassette: XT M737
Cranks: LX M569
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN72
Hub Skewers: Marzocchi QR15 Front and Hope Rear
Rims: Stans ZTR Crest Tubeless
Hubs: Hope Pro Evo 2
Spokes: DT Competition
Tyres: Maxxis Minion 2.35 DHF 42A compound, Minion 2.35 DHR 60A compound
Tubes: Tubeless
Saddle: Selle Royal Eclipse Carbon
Seatpost: Syncros FL Carbon

Great job you've done there, it looks just as good as the new ones I use to build back in '97

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I thought i would have been committing a sin on this site modernising a retro bike.

To answer a few questions;

It rides very nice and i feel confident on it. Due to the short stem and wider bars i feel as though my weight distribution is not now over the front end so makes it better when going fast down steeper hills, no sudden surprises that threaten to chuck you over the front.
The front 203 disc brake pretty much stops the bike with the slightest of touches. This is taking some getting used to as it was only 6 months ago i was still using canti's on the fisher and V's on this :shock:

I was very lucky when i got the bike as it was pretty much a museum piece and had not much use at all. I still have the original tyres that came off it and they show little wear. They guy i brought it from had two bikes and this one was his garage queen and was only brought out on 'special occasions'.

The rear shock is a revelation and fantastic compared to the old coupe deluxe. It is nice that you can change the rebound + it is lighter. It also allows you to stiffen it up on the fly but with the rear linkages the way they are it does not bob much when pedalling anyway - this is one area i still need to play with though.

Also since these pictures were taken i have managed to remove the VBrake bosses - thay just screwed out and have cable tied the rear brake hose into the boss hole to stop it bouncing into the tyre. I also now have a red rear hope QR in place of the black one.

Latest posts

Back