2000 Kona Kuku

Buzzsaw

Retro Guru
I know Kona's are more known for it's mountain bikes but I managed to get hold of this 2000 Kona Kuku bmx frame from UK. I think they made BMXers for only accouple seasons but weren't too popular so are pretty rare. Will build it up but must admit as a kid I was pretty crap at riding BMX compared to my mates at the time but love going out to muck around on DH bikes now as a mid age old timer!

Attachments

• Kona Kuku 1.jpg
    Kona Kuku 1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,647
  • Kona Kuku 2.jpg
    Kona Kuku 2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 2,647
  • Kona Kuku 4.jpg
    Kona Kuku 4.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,647
  • Kona Kuku 5.jpg
    Kona Kuku 5.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,647
Finished - not exactly original parts with Marzocchi DJ cro mo forks and stem.

Attachments

• konaKU.jpg
    konaKU.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 2,612
Really like this mate, never knew Kona had ventured into the bmx market, specialized had a go for a while and i've got a fatboy vegas in my collection

Although please turn the seatclamp round the right way!!!

Thanks - the seatpost is the right way round. Suppose it's the angle of the seat. Like most BMXers I don't bother sitting when riding it. :D
I think Kona made BMX bikes for a couple of seasons around 2000 -2001. Good bikes but no BMX heritage like Haro or Mongoose so not popular for them to continue likewise the Marzocchi forks (aka sweet Italian MTB and motorcycle suspension) I think they sponsored a few big wig riders using their rigid BMX forks in the early to mid 2000's.

Never knew Kona was Into BMX either. Way cool bike tho! It's hard to believe they werent succesful after making a bike that awsome!

Diging into an oldish thread :LOL:

Remember when these first came out I wanted a chute (same colours) and one of these to go with it. Ended up buying a roast and a Specialized Fatboy. I've seen the odd one appear on ebay but are quite rear but new frames are readily available and I've just bought one for less than £50. Might treat mine to black wheels crank and white tyres and grips etc don't want to spend much more than £100 so got to do some real bargain hunting.

yours looks great, thanks for sharing your pics

Tony

ps I know once it's built my kids won't let me near it :(

Back