Feedback
View
December 2012 Update
Done... I hate cabling.

2012-05-18%2520Rockhopper.jpg

DSC_8639.NEF.jpg

DSC_8717.NEF.jpg

June 2012
Picked this up late May from the second-owner from new. It's been used as a commuter for most of it's life, hence the slicks and jaunty mudguards:

dsc6233nef.jpg

The good news is it's a great fit size wise, which makes a nice change. Love the wide risers, plus it's seen a bit of action, so no need to be precious about getting it scratched. Parts wise, seems mostly original bar the seat, grips and tyres. Only possible bad points are a tired rear mech, and the rusty bars.

dsc6231nef.jpg

dsc6230nef.jpg

dsc6229nef.jpg

Really like that a lot of the parts are stamped with 'Specialized' - headset locking ring, stem, Bottom bracket, seat clamp, and hubs.

dsc6232nef.jpg

So after a strip, degrease and a set of suitable amberwalls and we're heading in the right direction.

dsc6234nef.jpg

The rusty steel bars were never going to polish up nice, so repainting them seemed like a reasonably cheap way forward:

barspaint.jpg

Turned out OK, and Ford radiant red is a pretty close match to the original paint.

Treated the worst of the rusty bits on the frame with Kurust and touched up the paint chips, then polished the stem and popped the bars on.

dsc6317nef.jpg

So that's how it sits at the moment - not a lot left to do. Need to think about some suitable grips, degrease the rest of the kit, new cables and outers and away we go...

I really like those red bars. The group on those early Rockhoppers was all XT just like the Stumpjumper. Nice bike

Re: 1986 - Rockhopper

zigzag":30skr8n6 said:
So that's how it sits at the moment ...
I can guess, it will be very nice bike (..oh man! but you are a very big man! :LOL::LOL:)

cs1":2ezx5hfh said:
I really like those red bars. The group on those early Rockhoppers was all XT just like the Stumpjumper. Nice bike

It's already got XT on it. Deerhead was XT.

V.cool :cool: Good info/work on the bars thanks..I've got some on my 87 in the same state..might give that a go.

Ant

Latest posts

Back