Claud Butler - 1989 Brochure

lrh

Senior Retro Guru
Mountain bike section of the 1989 Claud Butler brochure. I don't have access to a scanner but these digital camera pics turned out OK.

Attachments

• ClaudButler89-7.jpg
    ClaudButler89-7.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 5,517
  • ClaudButler89-6.jpg
    ClaudButler89-6.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 5,530
  • ClaudButler89-5.jpg
    ClaudButler89-5.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 5,530
  • ClaudButler89-4.jpg
    ClaudButler89-4.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 5,528
  • ClaudButler89-3.jpg
    ClaudButler89-3.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 5,515
  • ClaudButler89-2.jpg
    ClaudButler89-2.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 5,508
  • ClaudButler89-1.jpg
    ClaudButler89-1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 5,514
Here's my 89 Spectre a couple of years later. Bottom bracket and crank had been destroyed by this point. Only when I tried to fit these fatter Tioga Psycho IIs that I realised the rear alignment was off! Only recently retired it after 22 years of service. £373 new.

Also my brother's 1989 Spirit which isn't in the brochure, £340 new. This oddity was an un-lugged Tange frame built up with full Exage Trail.

Attachments

• ClaudButler89-Spirit.jpg
    ClaudButler89-Spirit.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 5,492
  • Spectre89.jpg
    Spectre89.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 5,492
Thanks for the scans, your two bikes weren't purchased from Berkshire Cycles were they? They used to get some British made oddities like by Anteaus and the Holdsworth I used to have (Tange Cr-mo frame and full Deore I parts).

Carl.

Amazing! Yes my Spectre was from them, still got the receipt but can't remember which branch it was. I think the yellow sticker on the top tube was the dealer sticker. Just picked up my Saracen in Crowthorne so could be one of their's too :)

A lot of the Falcon brand MTBs (Claud Butler, Holdsworth, Al Carter) seemed to just come with a full groupset, no spec-engineering. Not sure how they came to use Tange on some models when so much of their output was lugged Reynolds?!?

I've since seen another Spirit and a massive 23" Pagan so there are a few survivors out there. Very few 531 or later 653 framed models about though.

Attachments

• ClaudButlerPagan89-1.jpg
    ClaudButlerPagan89-1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 5,393
  • ClaudButlerSpirit1989.jpg
    ClaudButlerSpirit1989.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 5,392
lrh":1ty5mwxw said:
Amazing! Yes my Spectre was from them, still got the receipt but can't remember which branch it was. I think the yellow sticker on the top tube was the dealer sticker. Just picked up my Saracen in Crowthorne so could be one of their's too :)

A lot of the Falcon brand MTBs (Claud Butler, Holdsworth, Al Carter) seemed to just come with a full groupset, no spec-engineering. Not sure how they came to use Tange on some models when so much of their output was lugged Reynolds?!?

I've since seen another Spirit and a massive 23" Pagan so there are a few survivors out there. Very few 531 or later 653 framed models about though.

They had a couple of branches in this area and are still a pretty big dealer and friendly too.
They weren't Saracen dealers though if I recall correctly, they used to sell Dawes, Raleigh, Butler, Holdsworth and later Marin. More likely an Evans from Woking bike in this area.

Carl.

Back