Columbus SLX?

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
I'm interested in a frame that is supposedly a custom built (ie unbranded) SLX.

I've asked for some more photos, but in the meantime, does anyone recognise this photo as being a genuine Columbus style? Although I can find decals with "Columbus" at the bottom rather than the top, they all have the Dove, which this doesn't appear to.

Attachments

• Columbus.jpg
    Columbus.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,764
Looks like a kosher early SLX transfer with the dove scraped off by a framefit pump....
Picture_007.jpg
Columbus+SLX.jpg

It seems to turn up on bigger manufacturer's frames, (like Ciocc, above). Perhaps it is a cheaper tube combination (one SLX main frame tube?) to enable the factory to put a classy label on the frame.
IIRC, all the SLX transfers which came with loose tube sets for custom builders were of the 2nd type.

The machine crimped tops of the seatstays, TIG welded or capilliary fillet brazed, and the dimpled top tube (presumably an internal cable exit), don't scream quality custom, though. All a bit 'big factory' rather than custom built... I would have expected lugs or large radius bronze fillets, cast top eyes and brazed cable exits on a bike of quality for the period.

All the best,

Not my area of expertise but how is that frame constructed as it's lugless...can you do that with SLX ?

Shaun

I think it looks like an SLX sticker that's been partly rubbed away, probably by using a frame pump under the TT...

Thanks for your advice.

Now that you mention it, I can see the "x" and what I though (with my lousy eyesight) was an odd logo is actually wear.

On another forum it has been pointed out that SLX was rifled, which will be a pretty definitive test.

I was particularly interested to read the comments about the construction and detailing; to be honest I thought the internal routing was an indication of quality...

I'm still waiting for more detailed photos, but have these in the mean time.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Columbus rear triangle.jpg
    Columbus rear triangle.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,709
  • Columbus forks.jpg
    Columbus forks.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,709
Certainly doesn't look like a typical SLX frame at all as others have said. The other pictures might give some more clues when they arrive.

Mark.

Here's the tube specs for 1995 New SLX...gives an ides of where the rifling (Rinforzi Elicoidali) is:
Scan121460001.jpg
Scan121460004.jpg

-You should be able to see the rifling inside the bottom end of the steerer.
-Might just be able to see something down the bottom of the seat tube (with a torch), but access via the BB shall will be minimal on a lugless BB shell.
-Seatpost should be 27.2mm.

-The chainstay taper looks really short for Columbus, and the seatstays don't look 14-10.5mm tapered.
-The stays and fork blades look more Reynolds to me. IIRC Columbus didn't do the swaged domed ends.
Their tubes are supplied plain cut or squarely flattened (on some of the higher end Nivarom tubing), so end up more like this:
Rebolledo_track_frame_dropouts.jpg
rather than
DELUXE-2012-TEAM2-BLACK-DROPOUTS.jpg

-Internal cabling is smart, but often it amounted to little more than two big holes in the top tube. The better setup is really two long internal cable stops joined by a brass tube, all brazed inside without touching the sides...not easy, and pretty expensive, to do.
-It's got forged dropouts, which is good, but the plain drilled tube brake bridge also doesn't look high end.

Again, I think it's probably a factory tubing mix, with some SLX in there to get the sticker. Nothing wrong with that, but probably not quite as good as it appears...

All the best,

Dan, you are an absolute star; I really appreciate all your work!

It's up for £60 (plus a rather steep £20 delivery), which I initially thought was a steal, I now think it seems like a fair price for a tidy, mid-range frame & forks: any comments?

Midlife":18hfhd3o said:
Not my area of expertise but how is that frame constructed as it's lugless...can you do that with SLX ?

Shaun

TIG-welding ought to be possible with SLX as it's high-grade heat-treated cromoly steel (as opposed to manganese molybdenum steel such as Reynolds 753 which isn't very TIG-friendly); the nearest Reynolds equivalent is probably 725 which is often welded (though lugging and fillet brazing work equally well).

David

Back