Quik's 1992 GT Zaskar LE (Nearly Finished)

QuikNZ

Dirt Disciple
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have really enjoyed searching the forums for information and some amazing bikes. So I know there are already a few Zaskars out there.

This isn't my first retro bike (I've owned a 1997 GT Timberline and currently own a 1996 Kona Fire Mountain) and I haven't had to do much to those so this new purchase is certainly my most exciting.

Today I picked up a 1992 Zaskar LE for a bargain complete with carrier on the back and bar ends. When first purchased in the 90s it was full XT however at some point the previous owner has replaced the rear derailleur and rear shifter/brake with a rubbish 2000s Acera which I aim to replace at some point. Other than that the bike is in pretty good condition and i'm going to start work on cleaning up all the components, replacing the rear derailleur and shifter, replacing and/or painting parts that need it, getting new decals and getting it running. I intend on riding this bike again on and off road. I can't wait.

The bike has Rock Shox Mag21s which look circa 1996, and are in surprisingly good condition. It hasn't been ridden in the last 6 years. The previous owner said that the bike originally had Manitou forks... (i'm not sure about that). It seems that it was custom built originally though.

I'm quite keen to get whatever advice I can on what the best approach to polish and clean up the frame (for those who have Zaskars or frames with no paint). It is in pretty tidy condition for a bike that has clearly been ridden and won't need much effort. It has no dings or dents and just a few scratches and scrapes. I will pull it all apart for the restoration when I get the new parts I need and polish it all up.

Also, i'd be keen to know if anyone has a Shimano Deore XT M735 7 speed derailleur or Shimano Deore XT ST-M095 shifter and brake for sale. I have XT thumbies on my kona but want to have these shifters on the Zaskar.

This is what I know so far without pulling it apart.

Frame: GT Zaskar LE (01920876) 6016 Alum
Fork: Rock Shox Mag 21 Pat:4971344 I think these are either 95,96 or 97.
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT
Crank: Shimano Deore XT FC-M730
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT FD M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera (need Deore XT M735)
Rear Brake: Shimano Deore XT SLR UII (U brake)
Front Brake: Can't work it out - Shimano something
Front shifter: Shimano Deore XT ST-M095
Back shifter: Shimano something (to replace)
Rims: Mavic 217s
Swiss Spokes
Original Flip Flop stem, original handle bars, grips and parts around the bike.
Seat: Specialized gel seat.

And so it begins... any advice from the wise GT heads is most appreciated!!

Attachments

• photo (1) (800x598).jpg
    photo (1) (800x598).jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 2,086
  • photo (2) (800x598).jpg
    photo (2) (800x598).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 2,086
  • photo (3) (800x598).jpg
    photo (3) (800x598).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2,085
  • photo (4) (800x598).jpg
    photo (4) (800x598).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,086
very nice!

decals are tired obviously, you can get a full set of replacements reproduced by gil m on here, he does a very good job of them.

some folks go nuts with the polishing, back to mirror, with wet and dry sandpaper and polishes etc etc.

personally...I think it looks a little silly to get them that shiny. they tarnish off a little but quickly anyway, so it becomes a vicious circle..

on mine, i simply gave it a light buff with autosol metal polish (from a car shop, supercheap auto even) and it came up quite nice. then a good wash with hot soap water before you do any decal replacement. and ideally a wipe with acetone just prior.

Thanks mate. Just had a look at your 95 Zaskar. Very nice and something to motivate me towards!

I'm keen to keep it pretty simple with the polish so will stick to your approach for the frame. I do want it close to original but know its going to get dirty as well.

The frame is in pretty good condition only surface marks.

ta. i'd like an older one, ie 91 or 92, but for now, she does the job :D

they are the best ones, the 91 92 year. you scored a beauty! especially as it has the original stem grips and handlebar!

i have some spare decals you could have, if you want them. i will take a picture and post up. they are 91 era, but would look good. i don't have the big downtube decals, you would need to keep yours on the frame.

They are also white, not the cool LE orange. if you are keen, let me know. if not, no worries!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/m ... CF9472.jpg

Thanks for the offer on the decals! I'll hold off on grabbing them at this stage because I'm not sure what I'm wanting to go for with the bike and wouldn't want to waste them. I was thinking the original red style or blue initially.

Are the decals on this frame meant to be bright orange or are they just faded red? I haven't seen the bright orange before.

Thanks again - the serial number on the frame is 0192 so I assume that means Jan 1992 and those are the same colours. Hopefully I can work this one back into shape just like that!

I'll keep posting pictures as I start to tidy her up.

Really nice bike and Well worth restoring. Always wanted a Zaskar bitd and look forward to seeing how you get on. Good luck

Nice a nice bike that in quite good original condition. Merckx has some good advice there don't go down the wet n dry route to polish, it buggers up the ball burnish finish , use metal polish then seal it with some wax.
I agree with you,get rid of the acera they don't do the frame justice at all, I'd go for Thumbies. I hope your gonna take the luggage rack off ! :cool:
All in all a good score. :)

Back