BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Finding local retro bike material for sale in Cornwall doesn't seem to happen very often so when anything remotely interesting pops up I can't help but get excited.
OK so it's no Pro Cal or Mt Tam but it's still a bike that brings back memories of poring over catalogues with tatty corner from being read time and time again. Sure, it was made in Taiwan but that's no bad thing, and the frame still has some nice touches, like the Fisher logo embossed into the top of the seat collar. I bid on this before I found out I had lost my job but at £13.10 I have no complaints.
The picture and description were not great to say the least but I could tell that there was definitely a fair amount of rust to the components as a minimum. I knew from the reply to my message that, with no disrespect, I wasn't dealing with someone who knew anything about bikes - "the changing front ring arm is missing" was a bit of a giveaway :LOL: Anyway I though I'd have a punt and here we are.
Nothing to get too excited about but overall there's just something about it that looks right. The frame is sound and the colour looks great, especially in the sun. Sure it will need some work and I'll never get rid of all that rust but I reckon it's worth it. Asked the guy if he had anything else lying about and he replied "I think there's a fluorescent yellow Marin here somewhere which you can have if you want" but alas he couldn't find it in his numerous outbuildings - oh well.

Anyway, it's missing the front mech (if you hadn't already guessed) and the tyres are shot but I'm hoping everything else is pretty much salvageable. A quick check of the catalogue page suggest it's pretty much 100% original spec.

Original catalogue page here but for some reason I can't get it to link:

http://www.proteanpaper.com/scart_resul ... part=Cat-F 530 1992.c&scat=1&scatord=desc&scatall=no&skey=norm&srkeyall=&srkeywords=&srcateg=000000000000000332

A long and rambling introduction to a tatty mid range bike but here she is...

dscf4119ih.jpg

dscf4121h.jpg

dscf4125n.jpg

dscf4127m.jpg

dscf4128l.jpg

dscf4126t.jpg

dscf4122u.jpg

Great find, £13.10 well spent, thumbies are worth £25 alone. Bet this will clean up great with some t-cut and autosol.

Sorry to her you lost your job btw.

Nothing wrong with mid-range, hell of a lot of bike for thirteen quid.
20 year old mid-range is probably better built than a modern top range.

al-onestare":3dy2jalr said:
I think it might need a bit more than autosol; there be a shit load of surface rust captain!

True but I don't plan on throwing a fortune at this, just get rid of the majority of the rust, get it mechanically sound, front mech, tyres and a polish. I'd rather have a tatty original stem that spend money on repainting or replacing it.

raidan73":8szdcd9r said:
True but I don't plan on throwing a fortune at this, just get rid of the majority of the rust, get it mechanically sound, front mech, tyres and a polish. I'd rather have a tatty original stem that spend money on repainting or replacing it.
Poundland are knocking out spraypaint for a pound a can at the mo (got some !), so two quid for primer & gloss.

looks like plenty of potential! stripping and sanding the blac components back and then a rattle can black paintjob will do woders for that bike! the thumbsifters can be dis assembled and the mounts done similarly.

the frame looks pretty reasonable, prob best left as is almost

Latest posts

Back