88 Saracen Tufftrax

rupeww

Retrobike Rider
Another little project to keep me busy, looks a bit scuffed but the paintwork is actually really good.

It has already been converted to 7speed with deore thumbshifters added so I will keep it like that although it would originally have had exage 6 speed shifters.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 2,025
This is the first retrobike I have bought that is an exact copy of one of mine from BITD. Even the same size aswell, I bought this tuffftrax in a 21inch as I knew no better back then, after that I bought 19inch maximum, but I am planty tall enough to ride a 21 ok.

Heres the original.

Attachments

• TT 1987 smaller.jpg
    TT 1987 smaller.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 2,024
Its had all the touch up it was ever going to get!

My first car that one, went to the scrapyard at @ 85K miles. Since then I have never bought a car with less miles on it than that!!

I was watching this one on eBay. Glad to see it has made it onto here so rapidly.

There are a few subtle differences to my 87 Tufftrax as in different coloured decals and the extra cable guides on the down-tube. They are either different model years or it's just another example of Saracen and their 'let's change things slightly just to confuse people' frame building variations.
I'll have to check the high rez scans to see if I can see anything.

In the meantime, your's looks to be a good size. The catalogue lists 18", 20" and 22". I assume yours is a 20" from looking at it.
If you're over 7 foot tall maybe you'd consider swapping with mine...?

Anyway, great to see you've got your first mountain bike again.

It's 20 c2c so I guess it's the 20 inch. I'm only 6 foot so it's plenty for me.

It is different to the 87 catalogue picture. But I think it must be 87. Shame there is no 88 catalogue. If I get new decals then they might have to be red as the pink is an odd colour.

Just in the process of cleaning it up with t cut and the colour is coming out nicely.

Just looking at yours Paul, its got black decals, that would be easier to recreate. I am wonderign if mine is an 88, or just a late 87 maybe.

Stripped down ok, BB out except for the cup, so giving that some WD40.

Headset is ok so not going to mess with that. 2 hours of T-cut and polish and its looking good.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 1,959
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 1,959
Nice find. :cool:
Does look pretty good with the decals off.
Is it getting the complete historical recreation as you had yours BITD, catalogue spec or era spec?

Now you just need the Marina. :LOL:

Back