Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:17 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:05 pm 
Retro Guru

My holy grail ! in my size and never built up, the dropouts and brake mounts are all untouched and never marked. Apparently been sat in a loft for most / all of it's life. Dated sep/85. Campagnolo super record is the plan with Campagnolo victory crono rims.

Already purchased these

Some mint super record front and rear deralliuers are winging their way from the US already.

Last edited by shawnb on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:13 am 
Retro Guru

A few parts now fitted...

A too good to turn down set of wolber profil18's have been fitted. After checking on velobase and seeing they are one of the lightest rims out there I can confirm the front end of the bike is the lightest of my bikes! fitted up with some modern vittoria 21mm tubs they look like new. Ok so not ideal, they have chunky mavic hubs but they are like new and spin really smooth. SS DB spokes too! £41 a pair all in :wink:
Some nos gum hoods & a SR BB are on their way and a lovely SR chainset that's sitting around can then be fitted up.
Because the wheels have made the bike so light I have decided to make this build a bit of a weight weenie project ! expect some drillium chainrings and maybe the seatpost will get the pillar drill treatment :lol:

Last edited by shawnb on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:37 am 
Old School Hero

Very, very nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Lovely bike, very impressed with the condition of the frame, lovely, great to see, proper eye candy :-).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:56 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Theyre chrome forks underneath arent they? thatd be another area it matches with the carlton carrera along with full campagnolo dropouts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm 
Retro Guru

shawnb wrote:
Because the wheels have made the bike so light I have decided to make this build a bit of a weight weenie project ! expect some drillium chainrings and maybe the seatpost will get the pillar drill treatment :lol:

I wouldn't bother with the drilling, it will look out of place on this gorgeous bike. A drilled seat post is probably the worst idea in the world in terms of bike longevity (apart from my old college buddy drilling his actual frame) as you'll get water going down the seat tube. You've probably saved loads more weight with the 18mm rims and 21mm tubs than you would by drilling out some chainrings.

This is my favourite Raleigh livery closely followed by the old Red and Black - looking great so far.

Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:30 pm 
Retro Guru

bianchiboyd wrote:
Theyre chrome forks underneath arent they? thatd be another area it matches with the carlton carrera along with full campagnolo dropouts

Yes, got a point there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:35 pm 
Retro Guru

daccordimark wrote:
shawnb wrote:

I wouldn't bother with the drilling, it will look out of place on this gorgeous bike. A drilled seat post is probably the worst idea in the world in terms of bike longevity (apart from my old college buddy drilling his actual frame) as you'll get water going down the seat tube. You've probably saved loads more weight with the 18mm rims and 21mm tubs than you would by drilling out some chainrings.

This is my favourite Raleigh livery closely followed by the old Red and Black - looking great so far.

Mark.

Thanks, and yes I guess the drillium idea was just a thought - I don't have the patience to go through with it to be honest :lol:
After some time on velobase the 'chunky' mavic hubs turn out to be period correct 500RD models and actually a decent bit lighter than SR hubs so they will stay. I've been so impressed with the build weight of this particular bike so far I've just purchased some fishermans scales so I can weigh my bikes for comparison :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

good work fella, that's proper nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Another one finished!

These aren't glued yet, They may even be 'too good' for this bike (not too mention a little too old for it :? ) & as good as nos late SR calipers..

NOS Regina oro freewheel, dated '84. Modern ultralight kmc gold chain...

Highly polished 177.5mm SR strada chainset, nos Alfreda binda straps, SR pedals & alloy SR toeclips & campag buttons

Nos period correct turbo saddle, near mint SR post, nos sheild logo SR lever hoods. 20.2lbs in weight :shock: 8) IF I can afford it then an all alloy SR freewheel, ti axles in the BB & pedals will drop it way below 20lbs but I cant really justify the silly prices those parts will cost.

Image[/img]

Last edited by shawnb on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.