Retro Guru
My Chariots

20111129_104120.jpg

My 1998 Specialized FSR

20111129_104246.jpg

20111129_104559.jpg

My 2011 Boardman HT-PRO

20111129_104728.jpg

The FSR is my current PIMP?RESTO project that i am working on when time/funds allow, its current spec is....

1998 FSR
Respray in hammered copper paint
Mavic 317 rims on Formula hubs
Avid G3 Discs
Tektro Callipers (due for change)
A2Z rear disc mount
RPM Crank (due for change)
Outland flat pedals
Shimano LX front mech (will be changed to XT)
Shimano XT rear mech
Shmano XT brake leavers and shifters
Rockshox Psylo front fork (due for change)
Stock stem and bars (due for change)
Unknown saddle (thats quite comfy so its staying:) )
The rear end will be given the full BETD spec stuff once i decide on a longer front fork.

Boardman spec is....

2011 Boardman HT-PRO
Stock apart from...
Superstar XC-430 rims
White Novatech cartridge bearing hubs
DT swiss spokes
Halo hex skewers
203mm superstar discs front and rear
HT Nano pedals
Green seat clamp :p

The stock Boardman saddle will be replaced as soon as my new one arrives in the post!

Cheers.

A few FSR mods :)

My shorter stem arrived today :) £3 from eBay.

20111210_140352.jpg

And i have fiddled with the front suspension setup this morning

I have been trying to find a x-firm spring for a long time now and could never find one in the UK, so i started looking at other options, cash is a little tight at the moment so i am not looking to change the front fork until May next year.

I have ordered a 140mm x-firm pike spring as a test, i believe this might just drop into the PSYLO fork to be honest, it will just be a little compressed to beguin with, this has been orderd from the USA so will take a while to arrive (it was £25 so i can wait)

What i also figured was maybe i could preload the PSYLO medium spring a bit to raise the sag, i am a heavy chap and while the medium spring feels OK, it does sag a bit too much for me, i looked online and found a few threads regarding people using a spacer to raise sag, so i started to look for things that look like spacers.

As chance would have it, i found some metal spacer rings at work that are used in car seats to space the rear seats correctly, they look like thick black POLO mints, each one was around 12mm thick, hmm, lets see if they fit....

Yup! like a glove, i put two in the fork under the coil base plate, and changed the forks oil for 10wt and it has sorted out my sag problem an utter treat, yes i have probably lost a bit of travel, but to be honest, i dont think i have ever bottomed out the fork so far, took it for a test ride this morning and it feels sweet as a nut.

It feels a pretty good match for the stock rear shock/coil at the moment, i maye just leave it and sell the Pike x-firm spring when it arrives.

It rides really well now, it still feels pretty sluggish compared with my Boardman HT but i`m thinking that's down to the big clunky 2.3 tyres i have on the FSR

Current spec picture :)

20111210_140411.jpg

Not sure, somebody on the internet reckoned the Psylo ones fitted the Pike :LOL:

The springs are not a tight fit inside the tubes anyway though, so if the pikes a little wider they might/maybe/whoknows probably still go in?

The screw down compression cap will be different though, but i bet the Psylo one will fit.

While the pike springs are still in transit accross the ocean somewhere :LOL: i looked into the Pike a little more and IIRC they are 32mm

I am wondering if the springs in the Pike would really be an extra 2mm wider?

Should find out soon enough anyway.

Regardless, i got 15 mile logged on the bike past weekend on the spacer/psylo spring setup and it is AWESOME!

With 10wt oil in the Psylo fork and the compression on 50% it seams a perfect match now for the stock rear shock i have fitted at the moment, i`m a heavy bloke (18 stone down from 21 at the start of the year) and i threw the bike around a bit with no issues at all.

The spacers have meant i have lost around 14mm travel from the 120mm which is no big deal at the moment for me, the springs feel like they ramp up as they compress more, still not managed to bottom it out yet either which is intresting.

IIRC i have the rebound set pretty fast.

The shorter stem really sorted out the handling as well, i loved it to be honest, the only thing i was not happy with was the hill climbs, any out of seat climbs were a waste of time, i tried locking the front fork, but the back still bounced and sagged, and one really steep climb i had to give up, granny gears and sitting down made no difference, the rear suspension was just killing me :LOL:

I need to further look into a new rear shock(something lockable) just busy sorting out something else first though (i will post about it soon)

I now have this debate everytime i go for a ride as i like riding both bikes in equal amounts, i dont really like getting the FSR dirty though, yet i take my 1k boardman through utter mudbogs and generally dont look after it as much as i do with the FSR, it must be love :LOL:

Woohoo!

Just won this!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _500wt_949

Its the black one, from what i have been told, it "should" fit my FSR and give me a proper rear brake mount, i have had NO issues at all with the A2Z rear adapter, apart from it being a bit of a hassle to remove the rear wheel, hassle i could have done without at the time as i had dislocated body parts :p

It should also give me a head start on converting the rear end to bearings, as they are already fitted and unused.

The chap has another one up for sale.....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Postie has been :)

Brand new 2003 Enduro seat stay with disc mount and no V brake

20111223_163310.jpg

Will test fit it tomorrow and then give it a nice coat of copper paint :D

Back