Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:25 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:33 pm 
Retro Guru

Been busy spannering in the man-cave.

1st discovery!

These parts of the stock 98 bush are the exact right size to slip into the 2003 enduro bearings, win!

So the chainstay can be bolted up super quick once some spacer washers have been added to key the new stay in the middle of the chainstay joint.

But the shock linkage to seat stay will cause a problem as i originaly thought.

I spent HOURS cutting this down a little at a time by hand, with a hacksaw and 3 different metal files, i got it so it would slide into the linkage, then i drilled out the holes to 16mm, this allowed me to add in the 98 plastic bushes.

Here you can see it all bolted up, with the stock 98 bushing fitted and running through the new seat stay.

Another angle of what i thought was the finished article, its taken me all day, but it looks like its all working spot on, i discover the 98 rear mech hanger does not fit the enduro drop outs, damn :( but it should be an easy fix.

Lets add the rear wheel anyway!

f**k!!

The rear wheel will only fit if i let the tyre down (wtf?)

It would appear that the enduro dropouts are around 2cm in towards the crank compared with the 98 ones, i can only assume that the enduro has LONGER chain stays to compensate for this.

I was so close :evil:

Not sure what the plan will be now, i cant sell the seat stay as i have machined it down, i cant use it on the bike at the moment as my big 2.3 tyres dont clear, i may have to try and source a set of enduro chain stays, DOH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:48 pm 
Retro Guru

Could use a 24" rear wheel ?

Maybe!

They look a bit sketchy though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:53 pm 
Retro Guru

can you not just use a narrower tyre on rear and buy the enduro hanger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:57 pm 
Retro Guru

It would probably still be too tall, the tyre is squashed up :(

Its not just the width that is the problem.

The 2.3 tyre is tight on the stock setup regarding the width, but it clears, i cant believe the dropouts are fitted 2cm closer to the bike on the new linkage, its the only thing i never thought about checking before starting my day of wasted energy :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Well my PIKE X-Firm spring kit arrived today, i had bought some Marzocchi forks for the FSR but they seamed to have disappeared while being inside our fantastic postal system, so i decieded to put the FSR bike back together and rebuild the PSYLO fork so i can still ride it.

I can confirm the PIKE springs DO fit the 30mm stanchion PSYLO models, what you have to do is cut away the plastic around the middle of the spring, this is the coloured band that tells you what stiffness it is (ie medium/x-firm etc)

This coloured plastic band is just a smidge too wide to fit down the smaller stanchion, with this removed, they drop down nicely :)

You also have to swap over the topcap as the PIKE topcap is a little larger (its probably 32mm but i never measured it)

The springs are a little longer, so when screwing the topcap down, it puts a little preload on the spring, its not an issue for me though, for some reason i seamed to gain some extra travel as well, maybe the PSYLO system has a little extra headroom that was unused, or maybe my stock medium spring was just totally knackered :)

My left hand stanchion is marked around where the seal touches it (previous owner damage) and with the u-turn knob wound right round, i think im getting an extra 1.5 to 2cm extra, strange! i wound it down to its original height anyway.

Just been out for a 14 mile blast around the coast with no issues at all, bar getting a puncture just as i approached my street :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Just an hour ago :)

Post subject: FSR brake adapter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:24 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I've been reading your account with interest. I have an FSR '98 and wish to add a disc brake to the rear. I have an A2Z but not yet fitted as I'd heard that the angled Specialized dropouts were not suitable. I note that you've used one. How is it working for you?

I am not averse to tinkering and have considered modding the A2Z to more suit the dropout. I've considered adding a strut to attach to the left hand brake boss via a rose joint just to spread the braking force a bit and perhaps eliminate the unable-to-brake-whilst-moving-backwards scenario.

Something along the lines of the attached onza version...

Attachments:
onza brake adapter.JPG
onza brake adapter.JPG [ 51.46 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 pm 
Retro Guru

The mount has been fine, bar it is a little hassle to remove the rear wheel when punctured.

What i have been thinking of doing is converting the rear axle to an oldskool solid type and just bolting it up as tight as i can get it with hand tools, i have wondered about braking "backwards" it is not very often i have done it, so it has not been an issue so far.

The wheels/tyres are being converted to tubeless so hopefully punctures are a thing of the past soon anyway, removing the wheel should not happen so often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Righty, i did a nice 22mile XC ride on the FSR last weekend and i discovered a flaw.

Upon climbing an absolute KILLER hill, i gave up, hit the brakes and stopped, the back brake being locked on then simply rotated backwards on the A2Z mount, as the entire brake adapter rotated backwards on the rear dropout.

It was a steep hill, and its probably not going to happen a lot in the future, but it has made me think "is this adapter worth it?"

So should i start work on that enduro seat stay again and either get some longer chain stays, or try a 24" rear wheel :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:06 am 
Retro Guru

Thought it was time i updated this thread a little, the Boardman has gained a set of commute tyres as i am now doing 9.8 mile x2 per day riding to work and back :P

It seams to be helping me lose even more flab (currently 17.5 stone, down from a monster 21 stone!)

The FSR is still being fiddled with :twisted:

Onza rear adapter was fitted to replace the A2Z version

The front RockSHox Psylo fork was binned, and in its place i fitted a 2001 Marazocchi Z1 Dropoff (130mm travel)
The fork was stripped down, the lowers were repainted and i added some gold Marz Bomber decals (could not find any drop off ones)

The handle bars were stripped back from the white paint i added to them, and left in the natural gold anodising to match the bike/fork decals.

The stem was removed and painted black to match the fork lowers (i used black hammerite)

I also removed the stock rear RockShox Deluxe and in its place fitted an X-Fusion Glyde rear shock that i picked up brand new for pennies.

I needed a shakedown run to test the bike out after the mods, the local MTB club was away to ride around Hexham/Allendale/Slaley forest, so i figured it would be a good chance to test things out, and i did, up against a 2006 FSR, a 2012 FSR, and a Spicy 514

Some quick shakedown thoughts, the back end for me was perfect, i have the preload on the stock X-Fusion spring wound right out as far as it would go (its a lower spring rate than the RS Deluxe) i suspect as i lose more weight it would be an issue anyway, but it was smooth and supple, and we really hammered it down some rock downhill trails, i bottomed it out once on a hard landing, but it was not a big issue, i also bottomed out the front work at the same time lol

The front fork needs a little work, for me personally, i like a bit more compression damping, and the fork felt a bit too flexy for my taste, the stanchions look mint, so the plan is to try a new set of bushes at some point, i have already drained the stock 7.5wt oil and refilled with 10wt oil, the compression damping seams a lot more to my taste now, hopefully the flex will disappear when i get around to swapping bushes.

Apart from that, the bike still rocks, i plan to remove the outer front ring, fit a bash and have 2 x 8 speed gearing, i simply don't use the outer ring and i have bashed it twice now while getting over features :)

I will try and get some decent updated pictures tomorrow!