Saracen Trekker '88.

rupeww

Retrobike Rider
My first rebuild thread! I just took delivery of this rather grubby trekker UU. Hopefully I can do it some justice, but as its a 21inch I am not going to go too mad, just bring it back to life really.

I have most of the parts, some tools and some OCD tendencies so I think thats all for now.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,611
The original decals are just about there but peeling at the edges. The bike is covered in dints and scratches but the paintwork is good.

Also its hard to see in the pics but its covered in what looks like glue, I'm thinking maybe tree sap. White spirit seems to shift it.

My aim is to make it look like a trekker that has been looked after but also used properly, along with any upgrades that I would have made if I owned this from new.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 3,605
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 3,605
If you're looking for inspiration, check out gravymonsters Trekker UU build, and I'm sure he'd be willing to help with any questions you may have ;)

Hi, yes thanks, inspirational indeed and I have pestered him with questions already!

I'll put it out there.........

The headset and BB are both worn, the bottom race in the headset is pitted. Should I replace the whole thing or just the bearings?

I was going to try just doing the bearings and see what its like.

I've not had the BB off yet, need to go and get some tools, which for a saturday morning is the best idea yet!

I'm learning fast! Go to the oldest bike shop in town not the newest and they have headsets etc in stock!! Much simpler than I thought it would be, so new headset ready to go in.

Just need to get the BB out now!

Nice progress mate.

It looks better then I thought when you showed me originally, really nice in fact.

Were the u brakes serviceable or are you on the lookout for replacements?

Thank you, yes it has cleaned up quite well! It looks really good from a distance which is fine by me!

I have one U brake but still need the other, and the one I have is badly scratched where the previous abuser put the cable clamp bolt in the wrong way round so it was constantly banging into the other half of the U. !! So I would be happy to find a pair of U brakes, but one is a must for now.

I am not likely to use the original wheels, black Arayer rims, so they are up for grabs with the six speed cassette etc.

Then after that I just need shifters, going to have to dig deep to win a pair on e-bay these days!! I dont need XT for this project so if anyone has any deore shifters for sensible money I would be very keen!

Latest posts

Back