paganini help please

mrlee

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all does anybody have any info on the history of paganini bicycles ? especially the early 80's models, I believe they was named after a famous italian violinist by "the tailor" but thats all I know, info on these is scarce, cheers,
Lee.

Paganini is the house racing bike brand of the shop Plum-Vainqueur, which is a very old established bike shop in Ghent, Belgium.

The frames are apparently imported frames rebadged with the shop's logos.
There is some discussion about whether they are made by Torpado or Ciocc. The frames do often share some features with Ciocc frames, like the little Italian flag details brazed on to the top tube.

I've no idea where the name Paganini comes from - there are loads of Belgian and other makers who used Italian sounding names (Venturelli, Giacomelli, Fangio etc etc) so it might just be a marketing thing.

These are one of the more highly regarded Belg-Italian steel frames, and the examples around generally look very well made. Plum-Vainqueur also makes bikes under its own name, so it might be that Paganini was a more elite brand.

You could try searching for the shop and contacting them for more info. There will almost certainly be an English speaker there. However, I should warn you that a lot of Belgian shops are pretty indifferent about vintage and retro bikes. Maybe these guys are not like that, though.

Oh, to add to the confusion, there's apparently also an Italian make called
PAGNINI, but I know nothing about them at all.

cheers for the info its hard to find anything on this bike ,I had a feeling it was a higher quality frame and fork it even has a cinelli bb shell ,cheers ,
Lee.

I had one for several years and then sold it on here.Proborably a late eighties one.It was a great ride did everything from club 10's to 200km audax's.Light and very comfortable mine was Columbus SL.As usual wished I had never sold it.jm.

Hi Lee :) I'm new here, just arrived. Can't tell you much about the brand I'm afraid, like you I hit a few dead ends on the research. I do own an early 80's Red Paganini Sioux though. Love the bullet rear stays :)

Bought it from Halifax last year in a right state. Thankfully the frame was immaculate. I noticed that when I bought mine 3 others surfaced in a 3-4 week space on Ebay ALL around the Halifax area. The others where Pale Blue Sioux's though.

I got to thinking maybe someone out there was a Paganini dealer (will dig their name out for you). Anyways Lee IMHO Paganini's are extremely under-rated. The finish is 100% top quality. Colour schemes eye catching without being blingy/guady. They ride like the wind, so tight, aggresive, and the actual paint job is top notch. It takes some going to scrape down to the bare tube :)

Tracked 2 others on Ebay this earlier year, both where just frames and my guestimate was late 80's early 90's. Not as good a finish as the earlier ones,but still well pantoed & chromed. Noticed a fair few subtle changes in the build quality. Mine is irreplacable and I have turned down 3 Colnago's that are not a patch on the Paganini IMHO.

Of the 3 blue ones, 1 was a frame only and it hit £400+. I baled out at £260. Hope this essay helps you in some way :) My best to you, and if I get to the stage where I can post pics, I'll put mine up for a butchers :)

PS: "Thanks for that info Johnsqual, appreciate it buddy"

I am selling my Paganini on ebay
search ebay - Paganini road bike.
The more I read here the less I want to let it go. The wife says I have'nt ridden it in 6 years and its just sat in the house. What does she know about bikes :)
I have a tourer now but i'll always have happy memories of flying around Northumberland on that springy steel bike...it flew.

Back