My DeKerf has been reborn (updated, again 10-10-12) pics pg3

FMJ

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
A lot of you know the story of my DeKerf. My buddy bought the frame + fork from Chris in 93. Built it, rode it sold it. 10 years later he found the frame, bought it back, stripped, repainted, and re-stickered it. He set it aside to complete some other projects (WTB Phoenix, his brother's old Goat he found, a couple of Brodies, a Blizzard, his A la Carte, 2 FROs..........). Although he worked on finishing his bikes right up to the last evening, he died from cancer with the frame still sitting undone. His brother gave it to me to finish. I did it up last year, but wasn't completely satisfied with what I ended up with, so I did a total about face and redid the whole bike. The only parts still on the bike are the seatpost, the headset, and of course, the bars and flask. I like what I came up with over the winter much better.......and I like the ride better, too.

Frame: DeKerf Mountain #184 - July 93
Fork: colour matched Rock Shox Mag 21
Headset: King Ti
Stem/Handlebar: DeKerf Ti combo
Grips: Onza Porcipaws
Brakes: Paul Stoplite
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Cantilever cable hangers: Paul Moon Units
Brake Levers: Paul Love Levers
Shifters: Shimano 732 XT Thumb
Front Derailleur: Shimano M900
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M900
Cassette: M900
Chain: HG
Cranks: Syncros Near Net Forged
Crank Bolts: Syncros Crank o Matics
Chainrings: Vuelta/Shimano/Syncros
Bottom Bracket: Syncros Ti
Pedals: Shimano XT 730
Hub Skewers: Salsa Flip-off
Rims: Mavic 217 (r) 217 (f)
Hubs: Chris King
Spokes: DT TB
Tires: Panaracer Smoke/Dart
Tubes: Norco
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Evolution
Seatpost: Syncros Ti
Weight: as always, don't care
Misc: full Ti bolt kit throughout, Blackburn stainless water bottle cage, Ahearne Cycles Spaceman stainless flask cage.

*Build has been updated (08-13).

DK09.jpg

DK03.jpg

DK01.jpg

DK02.jpg

DK10.jpg

DK05.jpg

DK08.jpg

Hope you like it, Dathan.

DK04.jpg

Absolutely stunning mate.

Nicest steed I've seen on here in ages.
Just looks classy and subtly understated.
Forgotten about Onza Porcipaws - used to be my favourite grips!
The hip flask is a nice touch - spill the beans on the contents (hoping it's a nice single malt!)

Agree with the above comments, very sweet and that ti bar/stem combo is interesting plus nicely balanced by the seatpost. The engraved flask is a super nice touch.

Did the seatstays come uncapped?

ededwards":3qqh7j2f said:
Agree with the above comments, very sweet and that ti bar/stem combo is interesting plus nicely balanced by the seatpost. The engraved flask is a super nice touch.

Did the seatstays come uncapped?

Chris didn't start capping the stays till 97-98ish? (don't quote me on this). I prefer them uncapped myself. Shows off the pierced stay better IMHO.

FMJ":9uw5cva6 said:
Chris didn't start capping the stays till 97-98ish? (don't quote me on this). I prefer them uncapped myself. Shows off the pierced stay better IMHO.

I agree they look cool, much better than the plastic caps on my much later and much less cool DeKerf. However I can't escape visions of the seatstays filling with water during a rainy ride! I guess framesaver or similar addresses any corrosion issues.

Back