The 199? GT Safety Bicycle

irontam

Old School Hero
Apologies to MacRetro members who have come across all this over the past six months in various threads, but I thought I'd pull it all together into one place. :)

Having found myself mountain bikeless last year* I picked up the following cheaply on gumtree, a 90's GT frame of unknown parentage, powder coated black with shabby stickers applied.

frame_pic_01-1.jpg

* Previous Giant MTB thieved by a scurrilous little brother.

Spent some time deliberating what to do with it, finally settling on the following theme (sorry GT purists...)

gt_signature-1.jpg

Spent several hours on the computer honing the design, turned into decals, bought some airfix enamel paint, pinstripe tape and came up with this:

IMAG0057_edit0-1.jpg
IMAG0062_edit0-1.jpg

IMAG0060_edit0-1.jpg
IMAG0058_edit0.jpg

My Decal work is a little rough round the edges, poor choice of white rather than transparent backing. Additionally I didn't lacquer up after, which would come back to haunt me :(

To be continued...

MikeD":14p6plg9 said:
I like what you're doing here :) I think if it were me I'd have to redo the decals on a transparent backing, though. Those raggedy white edges would really bug me. Love the design, though :)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_bicycle for anyone not up to speed)

Ta - first time with Decals, as soon as they were on the frame realised my mistake. :(

Yes it does bug me.

I have to say as a GT purist I actually like that !

I do like a bit of individuality in a bike.

In a similar vein I used to help out at the Goodwood Revival where the
best way to get around is by bike. I was going to try to knock up a
modern(ish) bike that looked like it was from the 1930-50s. You've gone
a bit further.

PS The 'Safety Bicycle' was the first diamond framed cycle with wheels
the same size (as opposed to the penny farthing).

PPS How did you do decals ? where they just printed onto sticky sheets
(paper?) or something more hi-tech.

And if I were you to go really Victorian I think if you painted the end cap
in the same colour scheme that would look cool.

looks like you should be wearing a stetson and riding around with tassles coming out of the handlebar ends whilst shouting whoop whoop

Back