Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:56 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:30 pm 
Retro Guru

I've been inspired by sinnett177's magnificant Adrian Timmis build, but at the same time remaining realistic about the likelihood of finding one of what must be a very small number of Team frames from this period. I'd really like to get a Team-colours frame from this period, so which other tubesets and frame materials were used?

I've seem the cheaper ATT-23 steel version with horizontal top tubes and unicrown forks, but was there a higher-end steel version? Then which Dyna-Tech framesets were available in Team colours? The Team frames were the XMT 100 Metal Composite Titanium Tubing, but were any of the 'more mundane' DynaTech frames painted up in the classic yellow and blue.

In fact, I'm probably mostly interested in the DynaTech variants. I now have the various Team liveries from the 70's to 90's on a selection of road frames spanning all the tubesets - 753, 653, 531, 501 and 18-23. It would be great to get a DynaTech as well, and the yellow/blue is the obvious missing colour scheme for me.

I know that some road frames were made in these colours, but they seem even more scarce than the mtb's - and in any case I identify these colours more strongly with mtbs than road bikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:05 pm 
Old School Hero

Hi Gareth,

I ordered a Dyna-Tech MTB frameset with 2070 tubing back in 1990 and specifically requested it in the (then) Team Colours. I'm still riding it today and I believe that other people also had theirs sprayed in these colours, as I have seem many variations of the blue and yellow (ie: with Sun-Tour logos).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

In the same era (as the ATT23 framed version) was a 501 Tubed variant with Suntour XCT group (the ATT23 framed variant only had a partial XCT group) and there was also a 531 framed RSP lightweight variant that was handbuilt and used a full Suntour XCD6000 group that was a the top of the line Team Variant in 1989/90.