Daugs' Marins (previously "hi, first post")

daugs

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
hi all, found this site after looking for a possible replacement frame for my 1992 ish Marin Eldridge Grade. Had it from new but has been in loft for last 6 years and being honest not been out much since 2000 as we lived in London.

I think the frame is a bit big for me, the problem is not the down tube length but that the reach is a bit long particularly after the ravages of time (and the style at the time was for a long reach that seems to have changed). Time to get it back on the "road" and see what the options are - but definitely not selling it !.

will post a pic when it lets me

Hi, welcome.

Sounds like an easy fix might be to put a shorter stem on it? A lot of the stems from the 1990s are, say, 130 - 150mm so you might find putting on a shorter stem with a slight rise (or a shorter stem with riser bars) might make a big difference to the comfort of the bike?

I did think about that but was a bit worried about a shorter stem making the steering a bit twitchy if adjusted by a lot. The stem on there is 130mm c-c.

The frame is 19" from centre BB to centre cross bar (or 20.5" to top of seat tube by seat pin bolt. Not sure which measurement Marin used to use. The seial number is no help from what I've seen. The top tube is 23" c-c.

I guess if adjust by 1" then could do by stem but if by 2" then need a new frame. I was thinking it shouldn't be too hard to pick up a smaller frame or complete bike with worn out components. Until finding this forum I hadn't realised these old bikes had such a following.

ok with my two posts under my belt, here it is.....

5581431129_166b2474d0_z.jpg

That looks in very good condition...mudgaurd and a rack though....your rack would probo do the job so you could lose the mudgaurd and it would save some weight :LOL:

like it though....very nice :cool:

Very tidy looking indeed. :cool:

Didnt the eldridge have an LX group as standard? How come yours got treated to DX and isnt that an XT crank?

marin man":2l11zsox said:
That looks in very good condition...mudgaurd and a rack though....your rack would probo do the job so you could lose the mudgaurd and it would save some weight :LOL:
this is how it came out of storage, I agree, suspect I just bolted it all on so didn't get lost !. Needs a bit of work to tidy up.

fluroforks":2l11zsox said:
Didnt the eldridge have an LX group as standard? How come yours got treated to DX and isnt that an XT crank?
not sure, it's all standard except the accessories, pedals and the saddle. It's a mix of components. Levers and shifters are XT. Hubs LX, Front and rear mechs are DX, cranks not labled ? I found the owners manual but not model specific.

The sad fact is that one of the reasons it's in good condition is lack of heavy use but have always kept it maintained, just not worn out, and now feels a bit of a stretch to the bars.

What other stems will fit ? alternatively do frames come up, either another eldridge grade or maybe pine mountain (better ?) or bear valley (next one down). Anyone recall whether the framesets were that different ?

Back