Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:21 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:29 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Retrobike users who attended the Old World MTB Championship at Betws-y-Coed in September were amongst the very first to see a copy of new Mountain Bike Magazine Privateer. Contributing Editor Mike Davis came down to cover the event, ride it and win the pub quiz (an annoying habit he has). A couple of copies were shown around which smelt wonderfully of ink and, unusually when it comes to magazines, most people seemed to be impressed.

The magazine, which prides itself on appealing to mountain bike riders who ‘know the obvious’, has plenty of content of interest to Retrobikers, although that is just a part of its appeal. Adding intelligent writing to good design and the sensitive use of excellent photography is not a new idea but it goes a long way amid the sorry slurry of MTB magazines we see today. From the Rouleur stable and edited by MBUK founder Tym Manley Privateer is, as you might expect, just that bit different.

Think it might be for you? Well it could be and to make it worth your while finding out we’ve arranged it so that our users can claim a free issue and find out for themselves, click here to take advantage of this special offer.

This offer has been extended to include issue two. So if you subscribe now via the link you will receive the second issue free.

Last edited by John on Tue May 17, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:33 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Issue two arrived with me last week. Not read it from cover to cover yet but magazine looks great as you'd expect.

OWMTBC article by Mike D is stand out so far and nicely captures the spirit of the event. Even the bear gets a mention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:57 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

The history of titanium is a great article. A couple of favourite companies missing but a massive amount of research and a nice commentary from a lot of ti gods. Well done mike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:56 am 

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master

£9 for a magazine! (I thought)

But its unquestionably 2x better than any other bike magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Free issue. great. but i paid a subscription. but in this case i dotn mind as it is such a good read. well worth the cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC

Bought issue 2 from Wiggle and it arrived today. I've never bought Privateer before but wanted to see the OWMTBC article. I'll definitely be buying it again, what a cracking read and even at £9 per issue it seems a bargain when you consider the quality of everything within it. Keep up the good work gents.