'93 Cannondale M700

majoreyeswater

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Morning all.

Thought i'd start a thread with my latest 'spur of the moment' purchase!

This Cannondale M700 frame appeared on a local for sale sight early yesterday morning. Spotted it at 8am. Text sent by five past and mine by 8.15. Going for a bargain price so jumped at the chance :D Was a bit dubious about condition on my way to collect at midday but fairly pleased with the outcome.

It is an 18" '93 frame with a December '92 build date. No dents or cracks but with pretty grubby paintwork. Mech hangar, bb cable guide and brake bosses all present and correct.

1st question: is that YSL headset the original ? Apart from some very minor wear it feels in reasonably good nick. A strip, clean and re-grease and it will be a keeper hopefully!

2nd question: what was the brake setup on these frames ? Obviously canti but i've seen Force 40 mentioned. Any suggestions ?

3rd question: colour. It's going to need a re-paint so do I keep it dark green or try something different ?

These are early days but have now put my Univega on hold due to difficulties with stickers etc. May use some of the Ritchey parts which i've collected on the 'dale.

Itching to get cracking on a full build since last year so this will take precedence for now :cool:

P2260001.jpg

P003.jpg

P002.jpg

P001.jpg

P004.jpg

P005.jpg

P2260004.jpg

P2260005.jpg

P2260008.jpg

P2260009.jpg

P2260010.jpg

Cheers for now.

Steve.

looks like the stock headset

nice frame ,build it ,ride it ,worry about the paint later

as to the brakes i have had the force 40 set up on my m300 but found
it a bit of a faff so just went the hanger route

seen this ?
http://www.vintagecannondale.com/

Thanks for that fellas ! I'm aware of the Vintage Cannondale sight but thanks anyway. Think i'll steer clear of Force 40s. Read elsewhere of the hassle in setting them up. Got a nice NOS set of Dia Compes waiting in the wings for this one.

You got me thinking about those forks :shock: I'm pretty sure the're fine and it's just the pics angle (I think!!!). Will strip the headset at work in the morning and double check.

Original spec was LX but i'm thinking along the lines of period XT if possible. Colour wise I like older 'dales in yellow with lettering in black. The XT stuff would look good against it IMHO :LOL:

i had an old 3.0 road bike years ago, that i had sprayed bright yellow, and i put black decals on it. it did look good. i think a black fork would be the go.

Brief update.

Have stripped the headset and found it to be in excellent condition but think it's a latter addition and not OE. May fit something else in its place. Silver and black components only on this build !

Also Gil is in the process of sending me the proofs of some replacement stickers.

Also i've got a question ref the steerer. It's a 1 1/4" threaded steerer and i've seen it mentioned elsewhere that the internal dimension is actually 1 1/8". Is this correct and is it safe to assume it would be ok to fit a 1 1/8" quill stem ? I know it sounds daft but i'm just making sure before sourcing one :roll:

PS: Yes I have measured it but don't trust myself :LOL:

nice go to love a old dale
im currently doing my 91 m1000 up as its in similar condition to yours
mine is 1 1/4 ahead steerer tho

looks like lots of dales to be painted up soon

what spec you going for on it?

Rob

Looks like i'm heading for a XT M735 spec as I bought a 735 front mech yesterday :LOL: Waiting for the arrival of some Araya RM20 rims and M737 hubs so will attempt a bit of wheel building - gulp!

As to the rest of the build only time will tell. Cash is a bit short at the moment so may decide to split my Muni Mula in order to finance this and other future builds.

Watch this space :cool:

Right then.

Some bits arrived this AM so thought i'd post some pics as things appear !

XT M737 hubs from Martin in the Netherlands :cool: These actually went via Iceland on their way here ! Will need a rear QR skewer to match the missing front one.

P3090003.jpg

Araya RM20 rims from Bart also in the Netherlands :cool:

P3090001.jpg

P3090002.jpg

Kudos to Martin and Bart. Cheers fellas :D

Now all I have to do is build them up ......gulp :shock:

More bits to follow and I am going to check out a local powder coating firm who have recently expanded and I think have done some bike stuff. Interested to see prices and quality of work.

Cheers.

Steve.

Back