2011 Trek Fuel EX9 project

Nick C

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The Trek is dead, long live Trek.

My 2001 Fuel 100 died due to a frame fracture a couple of weeks ago and after some negotiating and buckets of charm, Trek are kindly replacing the dead frame with a 2011 Fuel EX9 frame and rear shock. :D

It's going to take a couple of weeks to ship the frame from the states and when it arrives I have a whole load of components to source, purchase and then to fit because sadly, very little will be of use from the old bike.

So in the meantime I'm going to leave this image below as a place holder until the frame arrives and the build begins and offer my apologies because I'm quite excited about the prospect of riding a modern bike for the first time in 9 years!

trek_fuel_ex9.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this go from frame to trail weapon!

What sort of stuff are you going for? What sort of build are you going for?

At the moment I'm looking to build it on a no compromising budget...that means trying to buy decent gear, at a low price. ;)

I have my eye on a 2009 FOX 32 F120RLC set of forks and I think a set of Elixir 5 brakes for each corner. I'm not sure on the wheels and gears yet and the crank will most likely be the modern Deore which I'd just placed on my old Trek to get me through summer, but I would like to change that to an XT item in the not too distant future. I've got stems and handlebars of varying sizes here, but until the frame arrives I'm not sure which I'll use.

Cracking bike... Dont tell anyone but had to sell all my bikes recently leaving one and my ex8 was my choice ;)

IMG00064-20100709-20511.jpg

Its totally standard 2009 model , Fox Float 130 RL

Really well balanced, there very fast climb well too

We need lots of updates in this thread fella. I love a good 'build from scratch' thread.

Pics of the frame when you get it, and every part you buy.

Back