My retro story in pictures: Raleigh, Orange, Pace, JT

Paul Eggleton

Retro Guru
Hi there, I was going to write a nice little story alongside these pics but just can't find the time! So I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Sorry if wrong place, please move if it is....

Not many bikes in my retro history but had some fun along the way!

I had a Ridgeback before this which I bought second hand which was far too big for me. This Raleigh was where it all started though

Raleigh.jpg

I then bought this Prestige Frame and transferred the groupset and started upgrading to XT etc.

Prestige.jpg

This was stolen out of the school bike sheds (1993 I think was the year) but the insurance payout allowed me to buy this.

Paceside-1.jpg

I dabbled in a bit of fun class racing but really liked the trials/jumping/hooning about riding.

Jump1.jpg

I stupidly sold this a few years ago before we moved house and regret it big time. Really want to find another.

I wasn't really riding in the last 10 or so years - I actually took up bodybuilding, had testicular cancer (not recommended and the only thing Lance Amrstrong and I have in common :D ) and my interest also shifted to cars, track days etc and my funds go into supporting this (M3 CSL for those not into cars - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3jVhsI26O4)
BRS_794.jpg

Anyway, In the years around the mid nineties I was really into riding and here is some memorabilia/photo's from that period. Sorry they’re scanned.....

An original Jo Burt, drawn for me by the man himself on a sunny day at the Malvern Hills classic. Cost me £2 I think!
MintSauce.jpg

Newham Park World Cup - the man himself

I'm the one on the right ;)
JTandMe.jpg

JTPlymouth3.jpg

JTPlymouth2.jpg

JTPlymouth.jpg

My favorite action one
JTPlymouthJump.jpg

The only retro item I have left is my old Bell Razor helmet. Hopefully over the next few months that will change. I'm currently riding this Trek which is errrr OK

Trek.jpg

I've got back into riding in the last 6months and wondered why I ever left. I had a crack at the recent Spam Biking event last month and loved it. As you can see; no longer built for endurance!
69_100919103648_0209j_std.jpg

I either want to find another RC200 F2 or I'm thinking of commissioning a DOGS BOLX as I love this
4331155252_629dac589a_z.jpg

Thanks

Paul

Great story and pics, thanks for sharing.

Seem to recall standing by a similar (if not the same) jump at one of the Newnham Grundigs.

............awesum

.....mate thats the best pic story ever......great pics.......and wow what a great pic of you with the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesum :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

and that dogs bolx is JUST COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Wicked!

What did you actually launch off in the jump pic? Cant see a kicker anywhere??!!

Pickle":3dlh4wcp said:
Wicked!

What did you actually launch off in the jump pic? Cant see a kicker anywhere??!!

I was very good at bunny hops ;)

You can't see it as it blends in with the background. It's about a 2-3ft ramp. You drop in the otherside ride across the flat bottom and launch upwards.

Another angle
Jump2.jpg

This is Ham Hill just outside Yeovil, Somerset.

MeHamHillJump.jpg

Thanks for the other comments as well :)

I used to ride up Ham Hill in the late 90's :D I lived in Sherborne at the time, but had friends in Yeovil.

One of the best reads on here.Short,but very concise :cool:
Great thanks.

:shock: Jumping a pace about like that,i'd be scared

Great stuff Paul :D

That DB looks very :cool: - go for it ;)

Do you still have the CSL btw?

Orange71 - my mum still lives in Sherborne. I'm now in Leamington Spa - not much around in terms of good rides unless others know otherwise?

Dyna-ti - why? It seemed and was absolutely bomb proof.......

Wadsy - yes, I still have the CSL. Can't afford the 997 GT3 so until I can the CSL is staying :cool:

Latest posts

Back