I built this bike up for the OWMBC 10, but due to a fault on the front brake pad I didnt want to risk putting the tyre through
many thanks to Mel who pointed it out for me when I arrived Friday
pics taken by the previous owner for his ebay ad
I have stripped the bike right down and de-greased all the parts and used T-cut to polish up the alloy parts, and T-cut and tin foil to polish up the chrome.
The paint and decals also received some T-cut followed by a coat of finish line teflon polish for the final shine.
To my surprise when the sun first caught the frame I noticed for the first time there was a green and purple sparkle/fleck in the paint, this also matched the decals and gave me some ideas for subtle addition of colour.
Things I have changed:
1) BB was not original and was a sealed shimano, this was replaced with a ti Royce I had lying around.
2) Biopace outer and inner rings and a round 38T middle were removed and replaced with shimano 28T inner, Stronglight 34T middle and 46T early Pace.
3) Chrome chainring bolts replaced with black alu ones
4) plastic MK pedals replaced with Onza HOs
5) Sedis chain was looking old so a Sram PC870 was fitted
6) The seat post was sakae and looked as though a hammer had been taken to it, so I borrowed the Kalloy one off the Giant along with the Giant's Turbo Saddle as a temp measure until the right type of post (Strong maybe) is sourced. The post was also too small in diameter so was not the original item anyway and the saddle was a modern specialized type.
7) Road/trail tyres replaced with Smoke lite rear and an IRC Mythos front.
The steel stem was swapped for a Tioga T-Bone which looked the part but I preferred it to the tatty oem stem, as the T-Bone was without a cable stop I fitted a Tektro Fork Rocker and this works really well.
9) most bolts and fittings have be changed for titanium, hub axles, skewers, brake block clamps, boss bolts, clamp bolts, thumb bolts, seat bolt, etc etc.
10) brass nipples have been swapped for aluminium Araya ones in black gold and purple to match the decals. Purple bottle cage bolts have also been fitted.
11) The bike came with one deore2 thumb and a base model shimano rear, I found some replacement Deore2 thumbs on here (thanks RAFbikes)
I am thinking of removing some of the Ti bits and putting the QRs back on as I do like the original look of them??
Saddle has been levelled since the pictures to lower the nose using spirit level
Iam leaning towards taking this out on the 25th to the Peaks ride instead of the GT, not sure yet.
If your still awake here are some pics of the finished item