Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:30 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:43 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I'm toying with the idea of running old hope discs on my amp forks, but as many will know, the mounts on the forks are nothing short of retro and conform to no known modern standard.

Does anyone know if it possible to buy an adaptor? Amp don't have anything and I don't have access to anything needed to make one myself.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but nothing came up in the search results.

Thanks

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:10 pm 
Old School Hero

There was an AMP fork in a for sale thread a few weeks ago that was being sold with an international standard adapter for the forks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:29 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Thanks for that, I have posed the question to the seller (will they sell the adaptor to me without the forks).

Cheers

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:01 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Ok. I now know that hope don't do them anymore, but the fact that they did gives me hope (pardon the pun) that they did exist and there may be some out there. This has now become more of a wanted ad I guess, though would still welcome advice if anyone has made one in terms of taking measurements to try and make one myself or get one made.

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:56 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

ishaw wrote:
Thanks for that, I have posed the question to the seller (will they sell the adaptor to me without the forks).

Cheers

Ian

I inquired about the forks a while back. The seller wouldn't sell the forks without the disc mount adapter. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:21 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

That could explain why I've not heard back. Are you interested in the forks then? If so we could club together and get the bits we want?

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:54 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

ishaw wrote:
That could explain why I've not heard back. Are you interested in the forks then? If so we could club together and get the bits we want?

Ian

Actually, he doesn't seem to be too active. He took forever to answer my first email, and has yet to read my reply in weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:56 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I used to make an adapter. I sold about fifty of them through eBay. I stopped because making them because it wasn't worth my time. Mine were made with a milling machine, but you don't really need that equipment.

You can make one easily without specialized equipment. All you need is a hacksaw, a file, and some drills and taps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:52 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Thanks for commenting. I guess my main problem is that I don't know where to start. I know this may sound stupid, but I'm not sure what thickness alu would be needed, should the finished article sit on the in or outside of the existing tab? How do I get measurements for the mount etc? I know it sounds basic and whilst I'm not afraid of giving it a go, it has been quite some time since I've done anything like this, and I'd want to do it right.

AMPrider, I don't suppose I could commission you to make one or two for me?

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:44 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

put a picture up and messure the center to center of the holes :wink: i've made a few adaptors in my time :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next