Boulder Bicycles Intrepid AL - FINALLY FINISHED (update p.4)

Which stem and seatpost combo should I choose?

• Both Silver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both Black

• Silver post/Black stem

• Black post/Silver stem

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mfh126

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Some of you might remember the post I started about a month ago in the Ebay Watch forum about this frame. I wasn't even going to bid on it since I figured it would go way high. Well, in the last few seconds it was still below $100, so I figured I'd have a go at it. Low and behold I walked away with a NOS Boulder Bicycles Intrepid AL (aluminum) frame at a great price. :cool:

Unfortunately the seller had no clue how to ship it because when it arrived the frame was loose in the frame box -- no padding/bubble wrap or anything. Edit: The description on Ebay stated that the "r" in Intrepid was scuffed, but when the frame arrived the whole bottom portion of the decal was scuffed, in addition to other scratches and some chipped paint at the dropout. :evil: I sent him an email about it but he never responded. I ended up giving him neutral feedback over the incident, but didn't pursue it any further since the price was so good (in hindsight I probably should've asked for some cash back and given negative feedback).

I already have almost everything I need to build it, but it'll be a work in progress as space is at a premium right now. I'm very fickle when it comes to builds, so I've flip flopped on some of the parts. The original plan was to set it up with a lot of polished silver parts (NOS silver Control Tech post and stem and silver Topline cranks) since I wanted to try something different (I usually use black), but the silver parts get "lost" on the light gray frame -- there's no contrast. I'm now going back to black. :)

Stay tuned for more updates.

Attachments

• Intrepid 4.jpg
    Intrepid 4.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 4,645
  • Intrepid 3.jpg
    Intrepid 3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,645
  • Intrepid 2.jpg
    Intrepid 2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 4,645
  • Intrepid 1.jpg
    Intrepid 1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 4,645
Like your frame was it damaged when you opened the box looks in good condition :D
if you ever sell let me now :D

For a frame that's over 15 years old, it's in nearly perfect condition, but it did arrive with some minor damage. Original post has been edited. :)

Judy Fork

My first project was to obtain a canti brace for the Rock Shox Judy DH Carbon forks. It came with a carbon brace for V-brakes when I bought it, but I'll be running cantis on the Boulder so the V brace needed to go. I sold it and bought a regular canti brace from a Judy XC.

I started by stripping the paint, and then, with a little guidance from nporternz, I set off to polish it up. The most challenging bit was removing the extra material that was left when the brace was forged, as well as removing some of the deeper pitting. I probably could've spent more time on the underside of the brace to remove more of the pitting, but I figured no one would really see that area once the brace was mounted. This was my first attempt at polishing raw aluminum and I think it turned out quite well. :D

Attachments

• Judy 2.jpg
    Judy 2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,608
  • Judy 1.jpg
    Judy 1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 4,608
  • Judy Brace 1.jpg
    Judy Brace 1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4,608
Cool frame! I was watching that one too, and was surprised that it went so low.

Especially with him not replying or "trying to make it right" I think you were well within your rights to give him neutral. Negative might have been a bit harsh. But I presumed he knows how to pack a bike......and he was just miffed that it went for so low a price!

The only full suser i ever tried to buy was from this company. Nice frame. Love the way they hide the rear shock in the frame. Such a great touch. Why didn't more do that?
You got a bargain. Shame about the seller. glad you gave neutral feed back.
Hope to see pic's of a complete bike :D

Back